Needs

I’m going out of town for the weekend, probably will not be working on
stuff. Here’s a quick list of things that I think we still need to do
for 1.1, due for a beta/RC release in just about 3 weeks.

  • Rails performance: obviously, we’re still trying to crack this nut.
    Bill’s work and Marcin’s Oniguruma port are key items here.
  • Compiler miscellany: better jrubyc, ant and rake tasks, better
    integration into the load sequence, cleaner, more integrated support for
    JIT and class naming across the system. We’re breaking entirely new
    ground here, so we’re going to set standards.
  • IO rework: a number of folks have expressed an interest in helping us
    rework the IO subsystem. I really hope that happens. Most of IO is
    pretty badly designed and poorly written right now, mostly because none
    of us are really IO gurus.
  • Javadoc: I think we should make an effort to doc out the entire system
    and start generating docs for it. History has shown that people are
    going to get into the nuts and bolts no matter what we do or do not make
    “public”, and having better docs will help them and JRuby contributors
    get up and running faster.
  • Parser improvements: Tom’s working on many improvements to the parse
    sequence that are knocking off 10% here, 10% there. It may never get as
    fast as MRI, but it will improve a lot.
  • Pain points: We need to know what the most painful parts of using
    JRuby or JRuby on Rails are, so we can try to find ways to improve them.
    This comes entirely from you folks in the community, so please speak up
    and tell us what sucks.

Other items?

  • Charlie

Another for the list:

  • Address all 300-some bugs, applying patches and fixing as appropriate.
    There’s a bunch of outstanding bugs, many with working patches; we just
    haven’t been keeping up very well with other things going on. During
    these last few weeks of 1.1 beta, we’ll tidy it up.

Charles Oliver N. wrote:

  • Pain points: We need to know what the most painful parts of using
    JRuby or JRuby on Rails are, so we can try to find ways to improve
    them. This comes entirely from you folks in the community, so
    please speak up and tell us what sucks.

Stack traces that give the full trace, currently I get a lot of
traces that stop 3-4 method calls back from the real error.

David K.

My concerns:

  • Not launching exceptions from inside a thread. A big problem to debug
    it
    and applications that use swing or swt bindings.

  • Outofmemory erros.

  • Slowness in the initialization.

Cheers! :slight_smile:

Hi,

Our major pain points with jruby are :

-Lack of a proper debugger in eclipse (not directly your fault,

probably)

-A few glitches in irb not being able to connect to existing

runtimes and stealing the application’s outputstream (we submitted a
patch about this)

-Rails (and some other libraries) can't run from a jar (this has

been discussed in the list)

thanks,
Ricardo

Charles Oliver N. wrote:

On Oct 16, 2007, at 2:15 PM, Ricardo T. wrote:

-polluting the console with “warning: already initialized constant”
messages. it’s a small one, but a boring one :slight_smile:

Ah, yes. An import statement that only imports java classes once
would be great. That’s the only time this warning bothers me.

:dudley

Another one that I remembered now :

--
rui