Ok, I am writing a (pretty big) project trying to use ruby as the main
scripting language for performing math computation, scientific display
and display interaction.
Here is roughly what I want
- a terminal window with a ruby interpreter in it (I want to be able to
control all the completions/editions capabilities)
- a bench of ruby classes to manipulate signals/images,etc…
- I want everything to be really really fast (I’ll be manipulating huge
- simple commands to display instances of these classes
- graphic (programable) interaction on these displays (e.g. moving the
mouse on a such a window should display image values, clicking should
Now my questions are the following
Should I use irb ? Can I wrap it easily in a wxWidget window ? Can I
reprogram some new capabilities (e.g., history completion, multi-line
A unix terminal window displays output text really really fast… what
object should I use in wxRuby to display text as fast (wxTextCtrl is
pretty slow, even if I use a buffer)
I want to be able to interrupt long computations (clicking on a stop
button or typing ctrl-c on the terminal window) ==> I should be able to
send SIGINT signal to the interpreter. Should I use 2 processes : one
for the terminal and one for the rest ?
The problem if I do that is that both processes will have a
wxMainLoop… now what will be the best way for them to communicate ?
Thank you very much