I’m trying to debug a bug in my code and am looking for some general
advice on how to go about isolating the problem.
My Rails application talks to a WebDAV server via HTTPS. Thanks to the
Ruby standard library, I was able to make authentication over SSL happen
with just a few lines of code. Awesome! Now it gets a bit obscure. I’m
using a PROPFIND request to the WebDAV server without a body (this
implicitly means “give me everything”). This works. But when I put a
query in the body, the WebDAV server returns a “400 - bad request”. If I
could get more details from the WebDAV server, this would be easy to
debug. Unfortunately, this isn’t the case.
I’ve double- and triple-checked my syntax, so I know that’s fine. I’ve
even made the same request via Ajax using the XmlHttpRequest object to
the same server, this works fine too.
What I’d like to do:
Given that the server is opaque and I’ve got one request that works
(XmlHttpRequest) and one that doesn’t (from Ruby), I would like to
inspect both requests and see what’s different. I’m about to investigate
WEBrick to see if I can use it as a forensic tool. I.e., send the
request to my fake WEBrick app to inspect the packets and see what’s
different between Ruby and XHR.
I wanted to see if anyone has advice on this approach before I invest
more time in learning WEBrick programming. If there are any free tools
for inspecting incoming HTTP requests, I’d love to hear about them.