Navigate through folders

Hello everyone,

ok… I have file (file.txt) which is written by a script. In this given
file there’s a path (c:/path/path1/path2) and I have the following code
in another script:

File.open(‘file.txt’).each_line do |p|

Dir::chdir("#{p}")
{
bunch of code
}

What I want to do after this is to go up to /path1 or /path and run some
more code; and this is where I’m stuck.

Thank you,
Andrei

Andrei C. wrote:

File.open(‘file.txt’).each_line do |p|

Dir::chdir("#{p}")
{
bunch of code
}

What I want to do after this is to go up to /path1 or /path and run some
more code; and this is where I’m stuck.

Note that p contains a newline at the end, which I’d expect would give
you an Errno::ENOENT.

But if the chdir is successful then you can walk up a level using “…”.
Note that inside the block form of chdir this gives a warning.

Dir.pwd
=> “/home/candlerb”

Dir.chdir("/etc/fonts") { Dir.chdir("…"); puts Dir.pwd }
(irb):8: warning: conflicting chdir during another chdir block
/etc
=> nil

Otherwise you could try:

Dir.chdir§ { … some code … }
Dir.chdir("#{p}/…") { … some more code … }

or take a look at the Pathname library

require ‘pathname’
=> true

p = Pathname.new("/etc/fonts")
=> #Pathname:/etc/fonts

p.parent.to_s
=> “/etc”

“Andrei C.” [email protected] wrote in message
news:[email protected]

bunch of code
Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.

From path2:
Dir::chdir(“…”) # returns to path1
Dir::chdir(“…..”) # returns to path

Hth gfb

GianFranco B. wrote:

Dir::chdir("…") # returns to path

I’m afraid this won’t:

irb(main):020:0> “…”
=> “…”

You need “…/…” (preferred, even under Windows), or “…\…”, or
‘…’

irb(main):021:0> “…\…”
=> “…\…”
irb(main):022:0> “…\…”.size
=> 5

Thank you very much guys, this works great.

@Brian
You were right about the error, though for me it returned
(Errno::EINVAL) which I fixed with:

p.delete! “\n”

Best Regards,
Andrei

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 9:06 AM, Andrei C.
[email protected] wrote:

Thank you very much guys, this works great.

@Brian
You were right about the error, though for me it returned
(Errno::EINVAL) which I fixed with:

p.delete! “\n”

p.chomp!

Jesus.