NanoSail-D turns out isn't lost!

If you’re in a position to listen for the beacon packets of NanoSail-D,
some of the details are here:

http://nanosaild.engr.scu.edu/dashboard.htm

Wish my SBRAC dish was fully operational. I’d actually be able to
track it–I’ve got 400MHz feeds, and
a WBX-based receive chain. So much coolness, so little time :frowning:

Marcus L.
Principal Investigator
Shirleys Bay Radio Astronomy Consortium

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 2:03 AM, Marcus D. Leech [email protected]
wrote:

If you’re in a position to listen for the beacon packets of NanoSail-D, some
of the details are here:

http://nanosaild.engr.scu.edu/dashboard.htm

Wish my SBRAC dish was fully operational. I’d actually be able to track
it–I’ve got 400MHz feeds, and
a WBX-based receive chain. So much coolness, so little time :frowning:

I tried earlier today with a handheld Arrow II yagi connected directly
to WBX. I could hear it but it was too weak to decode. A bigger yagi
should give sufficient signal.
In case you receive, it is very easy to decode the telemetry. It uses
1200 bps AFSK FM modulating the carrier, so a simple NBFM receiver and
the audio fed to e.g. multimon
(http://www.baycom.org/~tom/ham/linux/multimon.html) works. Decoded
telemetry can be submitted to the ops team at
http://beacon.engr.scu.edu/Submission.aspx

Have fun!

Alex

On 01/20/2011 08:35 PM, Alexandru C. wrote:

Have fun!

Alex

Yup, I knew it was 1200 AFSK FM.

Good to know you almost demodulated it successfully with WBX.

I rather doubt that I’ll be able to get to my groups 60ft dish before
the topic becomes
uninteresting :frowning:

But I do have a 70cm YAGI in my store-room somewhere, perhaps I shall
dig it out, and
wait for a pass over my city to see if I can demodulate the signal!

Principal Investigator
Shirleys Bay Radio Astronomy Consortium

On 01/21/2011 01:54 PM, Patrik T. wrote:

Hi All,

Is it linear polarized, if so which?
If not, then which circular polarisation?

Patrik
I don’t know, but this, from the Nansat-D mission dashboard, is not very
hopeful:

"

STATUS: NanoSail-D ejected on 1/17/11 at approximately 1900 PST. Beacon
data was routinely received by the public throughout the world from
1/19-21/11, and telemetry indicates that the sail deployed on schedule.
As of early morning PST on 1/21/11, no beacon packets are being
received. This combined with a plunging battery voltage may mean that
NanoSail-D is effectively out of power. The ops team and amateur radio
operators around the world are still making attempts to make contact
with the spacecraft.

We will be tracking the de-orbiting of NanoSail-D over the next few
months, and we will post any available visual photographs of the
satellite, which are being collected by the mission team at NASA
Marshall Space Flight Center."