N00b question

somewhat new to ruby, and im trying to write a simple program to print

and I would like the program to list the next one as

and so on, this is what I have so far, I am just having trouble getting
it add +1 to the end ever time because it dosent like numbers in the
string, I have tried several things but non of which worked out. Any
advice would be a great help here is the code

Img forum tag lister

puts "What is your url: " # url from input
url = gets.chomp

puts "What is your files name: " # file name from input (IMG_ for canon
DSC_ for sony etc.)
file = gets.chomp

puts "How many files: " # # of files wanted to print from input
num = gets.to_i

puts "beginning file #: " # beginning number extension, ( number at end
of picture file eg IMG_0987, would be 0987)

bnum = gets.chomp

print ("") *num.to_i #
prints IMG tag.

I realize that you can put the numbers into a sting without first
converting but the how would you go about having it add +1 after it has
been converted?

Thanks, --Miles

Hi,

Miles C. wrote:

[...]

try this:

num.times { puts “” }

I realize that you can put the numbers into a sting without first
converting but the how would you go about having it add +1 after it has
been converted?

Thanks, --Miles

Regards,
Park H.

Excellent, Thanks a lot.

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

Datum: Mon, 19 May 2008 23:36:36 +0900
Von: Miles C. [email protected]
An: [email protected]
Betreff: n00b question

it add +1 to the end ever time because it dosent like numbers in the
puts "What is your files name: " # file name from input (IMG_ for canon

print ("") *num.to_i #
prints IMG tag.

I realize that you can put the numbers into a sting without first
converting but the how would you go about having it add +1 after it has
been converted?

Hi Miles,

you can use the pound sign :

res=‘5’
p “The answer is #{res=res.succ}”
p res

res=5
p “The answer is #{res=res.succ}”
p res

… but, be careful for “negative number-strings” …

Best regards,

Axel

to evaluate

Thanks for the help and the quick replys, that helped out a lot and
learned something new.

Or you could use a regexp on the string to separate out the number, then
increment it, and put the string back together again.

But this is a Ruby N.y here, fresh from Perl and still finding out how
to do things the proper Ruby way. :wink: