Pete

Good question… I’m using always MutableString inside my StringIO
implementation but I’m not sure if it’s ok…

On Dec 6, 2007 3:54 PM, Peter Bacon D. [email protected]

You should return MutableStrings and also accept MutableStrings as
parameters.

Tomas

From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Eduardo A.
Flores Verduzco
Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2007 2:19 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [Ironruby-core] MutableString vs string

Good question… I’m using always MutableString inside my StringIO
implementation but I’m not sure if it’s ok…

On Dec 6, 2007 3:54 PM, Peter Bacon D. <
[email protected]mailto:[email protected]> wrote:

Along the lines of the discussion before about raising exceptions: Is it
acceptable to return .NET strings from library methods or should we be
trying to use MutableString instances?

Pete

Tomas:

You should return MutableStrings and also accept MutableStrings as
parameters.

Yup.

Long term, we’ve talked about some action binder magic that would
automatically convert MutableString <-> System.String for calling .NET
methods. But that’s a long way off, so use MutableStrings for now.

  • John