Multiple sites using one data source

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to the best way to
provide access to the same data source for the (possible) creation of
multiple web sites. I figure my options are:

  • Direct database access over tcp
  • ActionWebService
  • Wait for ActionResource

I’ve done up some work with ActionWebService already, but I don’t think
it’s going to work because it is so slow for me. All I’m doing is
displaying a list of 12 product categories and it takes way too long.
This is running under development mode and fastcgi.

Direct database access would be the fastest in terms of performance I
imagine?

Are web services not really targeted for solving this sort of problem
(creating multiple web sites using one data source)?

On 8/10/06, James E. [email protected] wrote:

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to the best way to
provide access to the same data source for the (possible) creation of
multiple web sites.

Direct DB access works well if all your app servers can see all the
involved databases. Where I previously worked we ran three sites,
each with their own database as well as a shared user database. It
worked out very well.

In doing that, though, you get a lot of speed but tie your apps pretty
tightly together. Especially the parts sharing the same database.
With a web service, you can of course keep the interface fairly
consistent and are free to whimsically change implementation details.
I think the answer is more of a “whatever suits your needs” type deal.

That said, there’s some code at this link for connecting a model to an
external database:

http://www.pjhyett.com/articles/2006/01/25/rails-interacting-with-an-external-database

Comment #3 is really concise. That might suit your needs.

Chris W. wrote:

On 8/10/06, James E. [email protected] wrote:

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to the best way to
provide access to the same data source for the (possible) creation of
multiple web sites.

Direct DB access works well if all your app servers can see all the
involved databases. Where I previously worked we ran three sites,
each with their own database as well as a shared user database. It
worked out very well.

In doing that, though, you get a lot of speed but tie your apps pretty
tightly together. Especially the parts sharing the same database.
With a web service, you can of course keep the interface fairly
consistent and are free to whimsically change implementation details.
I think the answer is more of a “whatever suits your needs” type deal.

That said, there’s some code at this link for connecting a model to an
external database:

http://www.pjhyett.com/articles/2006/01/25/rails-interacting-with-an-external-database

Comment #3 is really concise. That might suit your needs.

Thanks! I think that may be exactly what I’ve been looking for.
Developing a web service would be cool, but it may be overkill, and
never get utilized in this case. It’s tempting though, to take the
basic data that I’m finding I need to share, and spawn off it’s own
internet service.

You don’t have to wait for ActiveResourec… simply_restful is a plugin
right now that you can use. That’s what I’d do if I was in your
situation.

Use WEBrick or Mongrel for development mode. There are known memory
leaks
using fastcgi in Development mode (production mode is fine… leaks are
due
to the constant reloading of models and controllers in dev mode).

Your app will run considerably faster in production mode btw.

Brian H. wrote:

You don’t have to wait for ActiveResourec… simply_restful is a plugin
right now that you can use. That’s what I’d do if I was in your
situation.

Use WEBrick or Mongrel for development mode. There are known memory
leaks
using fastcgi in Development mode (production mode is fine… leaks are
due
to the constant reloading of models and controllers in dev mode).

Your app will run considerably faster in production mode btw.

Isn’t ActiveResource different from the simply_restful plugin though?
Correct me if I’m wrong, but ActiveResource is for developing XML based
web services, and simply_restful is just for making controller actions
more RESTful?

Sorry for the confusion…
But what I meant was that you could use the SimplyRestful stuff right
now to
make your applications talk. App 1 calls app2’s controllers using
restful
actions.

I’m doing some similar stuff right now that way but I’m actually not
using
SimplyRestful (Refactoring soon though) and it’s working so far. (proof
of
concept though)

Brian H. wrote:

Sorry for the confusion…
But what I meant was that you could use the SimplyRestful stuff right
now to
make your applications talk. App 1 calls app2’s controllers using
restful
actions.

I’m doing some similar stuff right now that way but I’m actually not
using
SimplyRestful (Refactoring soon though) and it’s working so far. (proof
of
concept though)

How do have app2 call app1’s controller actions? Do you just use
render_to_string or something, and then have app1 respond with xml?

It appears I could probably start using ActiveResource now. It may have
all the functionality I need (basically readonly right now).

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs