Multi_site + search extensions, any suggestions for limiting results

I had three 0.6.4 gem installs that merged into one this afternoon
(put two on top of one). Thanks for the work that obviously into this
and the shards extensions; I’m by no means a guru in these matters and
the setup took less than an hour.

I’m just looking for a little help trying to limit the search
extension to the current domain. As it stands a search from domain X
returns pages from the other two domains. I looked in the available
tags and didn’t see any way to use the radius tags to accomplish this.
Are there any new radius tags added with the multi_site extension that
just don’t show up in the available tags interface that might be
useful? Or some clever way to use the existing tags that I’ve just
overlooked?

thanks
john

No, you’ll probably have to change the search extension to accommodate
this, or write some tags of your own in a separate extension. Although
the core of the multi_site functionality is in the extension, we also
used it to restrict controllers to specific domains and invoked the Site
model in other areas of the code. It is also not always a trivial
matter to add a tag around some other tag to achieve the effect you
want.

Anyway, I will look into what would be required to make them compatible.

Sean

On 2008/01/30, at 07:45, Sean C. wrote:

No, you’ll probably have to change the search extension to accommodate
this, or write some tags of your own in a separate extension.
Although
the core of the multi_site functionality is in the extension, we also
used it to restrict controllers to specific domains and invoked the
Site
model in other areas of the code.

I had a look at both extensions and took an hour to see if I could
bend them
into shape. After failing for an hour I decided it was non-trivial
enough to
set aside for now. I will give it another try again once edge isn’t
required
to run multi_site, with the Rails 2 branch getting into trunk and all
the
changes I imagine are coming it seems like the wrong time for me to
try this.

Fortunately, I only had one site making use of search and the other
sites
aren’t too heavy on pages so for now I just added a “no-search” page
part.
Obviously not ideal but gets close enough particularly considering it’s
overall negligible impact.

It is also not always a trivial matter to add a tag around some
other tag
to achieve the effect you want.

The most trivial approach at this point seems like just switching to an
external search service.

Anyway, I will look into what would be required to make them
compatible.

Sean

Thanks again for your work.

john

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs