Mulitiple rails application with different domain name

I am using Slackware 12.1 OS, I need to deploy two rails applications
(mongrel) with two different domain name with single ip.

for example,

maths.exam.info - path is /srv/maths.com/www/

grammar.exam.info - path is /srv/grammar.com/www

Herewith I’ve attached the apache conf files, please find it.

The problem is both the domain goes to maths.exam.info
we could get both sites where mention the port number.

maths.exam.info:8000

grammar.exam.info:8003

How can i get the both sides with out port numbers.

The dns has registered properly.

Thanks
sg…

More or less you like it:
Apache with proxy pass - http://gist.github.com/232869
Apache with proxy balancer - http://gist.github.com/232872

Choose one and modify to your needs :slight_smile:

Geetha Sg wrote:

Herewith I’ve attached the apache conf files, please find it.
The dns has registered properly.

Thanks
sg…

Attachments:
http://www.ruby-forum.com/attachment/4228/apache1.conf.rtf


Rafa

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 2:04 AM, Geetha Sg [email protected] wrote:

I am using Slackware 12.1 OS, I need to deploy two rails applications
(mongrel) with two different domain name with single ip.

The problem is both the domain goes to maths.exam.info
we could get both sites where mention the port number.

maths.exam.info:8000

grammar.exam.info:8003

How can i get the both sides with out port numbers.

Configure your virtual hosts properly; ServerName should be e.g.
maths.exam.info and grammer.exam.info.

Also, both vhosts are forwarding to the same mongrel cluster, so
nothing will ever get to the application on port 8003.

HTH,

Hassan S. wrote:

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 2:04 AM, Geetha Sg [email protected] wrote:

I am using Slackware 12.1 OS, I need to deploy two rails applications
(mongrel) with two different domain name with single ip.

The problem is both the domain goes to maths.exam.info
we could get both sites where mention the port number.

maths.exam.info:8000

grammar.exam.info:8003

How can i get the both sides with out port numbers.

Configure your virtual hosts properly; ServerName should be e.g.
maths.exam.info and grammer.exam.info.

Also, both vhosts are forwarding to the same mongrel cluster, so
nothing will ever get to the application on port 8003.

HTH,

hi,

let me know how to do that… i am very basic of ruby hosting…

Rafael García wrote:

Geetha Sg wrote:

maths.exam.info:8000

HTH,

hi,

let me know how to do that… i am very basic of ruby hosting…

I give you two templates that you can use to configure your server
replacing “foo” with your data, and the ports with your mongrel ports.

If you don’t understand something it’s explained in apache documentation
very well: http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/

Regards!


Rafa

should i create the apache_vhost_mongrel_cluster.conf for both
applications

I’m using slackware os.

pls help

Geetha Sg wrote:

maths.exam.info:8000

HTH,

hi,

let me know how to do that… i am very basic of ruby hosting…

I give you two templates that you can use to configure your server
replacing “foo” with your data, and the ports with your mongrel ports.

If you don’t understand something it’s explained in apache documentation
very well: http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/

Regards!


Rafa

Geetha Sg wrote:

pls help

I recommend you to try the simple vhost example gist, after I you need
more try the other “complex” gist.

I suposse that you’re using this file as vhost configuration file(I find
it there in my slackware):

    /etc/httpd/extra/httpd-vhosts.conf

You can paste this code ( I don’t tested it but you get the idea and
perhaps works fine):

NameVirtualHost *:80

<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName maths.exam.info
DocumentRoot /srv/maths.com/www

ProxyPass / http://127.0.0.1:8000/

<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName grammar.exam.info
DocumentRoot /srv/grammar.com/www

ProxyPass / http://127.0.0.1:8003/

I personally (and many people) separate vhosts for domains or
applications.
But in your case do it when you understand how it works and what do
every directive(apache doc for it).

Remember: www directory should be a rails_root/public link


Rafa