MS VC++ Toolkit 2003?

I’ve just purchased a new Intel-based iMac and installed Windows XP
using VMware Fusion. Now I’d like to build a new RMagick-win32 gem. The
instructions I have say that I must use Microsoft’s VC++ Toolkit 2003.
However, I see that that compiler is no longer available from MS and,
from old ruby-lang posts, the 2005 version doesn’t work as a
replacement.

Does anybody know where I can get a copy of the 2003 version or, failing
that, suggest an alternative?

Tim H. wrote:

I’ve just purchased a new Intel-based iMac and installed Windows XP
using VMware Fusion. Now I’d like to build a new RMagick-win32 gem. The
instructions I have say that I must use Microsoft’s VC++ Toolkit 2003.
However, I see that that compiler is no longer available from MS and,
from old ruby-lang posts, the 2005 version doesn’t work as a replacement.

VC++ 8 should work fine. I’ve built Ruby successfully with it. The only
issue (that I’ve experienced) is the openssl library. If that’s not a
deal breaker, then I recommend that.

BTW, In the benchmarks I’ve run, the Ruby I built with VC++ 8 was
approximately 10% faster than one built with VC++ 6.

Regards,

Dan

On 8/19/07, Daniel B. [email protected] wrote:

BTW, In the benchmarks I’ve run, the Ruby I built with VC++ 8 was
approximately 10% faster than one built with VC++ 6.

There are some tricks others (Nobu or NaHi, IIRC) have suggested to
maximize cross-runtime compatibility, but my experience is that it’s
best if you have everything built with the same runtime. Both zlib and
openssl are easy to do this with, but the problem ultimately is that
you need to end up doing this with every single freakin’ support
library.

Damn Microsoft and incompatible runtimes. Solaris manages fixes
without DLL hell. IBM does, too.

-austin

On 8/20/07, Tim H. [email protected] wrote:

Austin Z. wrote:

There are some tricks others (Nobu or NaHi, IIRC) have suggested to
maximize cross-runtime compatibility, but my experience is that it’s
best if you have everything built with the same runtime. Both zlib and
openssl are easy to do this with, but the problem ultimately is that
you need to end up doing this with every single freakin’ support
library.
Well, now I confess to being a bit confused. Just how do I make a new
RMagick-win32 gem that will work with the 1.8.6 one-click installer?

For that, you need either (a) Visual Studio 6 or (b) mingw. There are
some possible minor incompatibilities with mingw, but that’s probably
your best route.

-austin

Austin Z. wrote:

There are some tricks others (Nobu or NaHi, IIRC) have suggested to
maximize cross-runtime compatibility, but my experience is that it’s
best if you have everything built with the same runtime. Both zlib and
openssl are easy to do this with, but the problem ultimately is that
you need to end up doing this with every single freakin’ support
library.

Well, now I confess to being a bit confused. Just how do I make a new
RMagick-win32 gem that will work with the 1.8.6 one-click installer?

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs