Monitoring JRuby

Hi all,
Believe it or not a very large company that starts with an A and ends
with
an e (ssh!) is considering using JRuby internally and they have some
questions for the crazy guy me who is pushing it. Our IT department is
big JBoss on Oracle shop and I have managed to convince them that there
will
be the impact to their practices will be regulated to only 3 areas. 1)
Running builds, 2 )running migrations and 3) application monitoring.
They
are ok with the first 2 but they had big hopes of using one of these big
application monitoring tools like Quest Foglight. I have done searches
on
application monitoring and have a few remaining questions:

  1. Status of JMX Support? - is there core JMX support in JRuby. This
    closed
    issue made me think so. http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/JRUBY-2924.
    Also
    Thomas E. has the jmx gem which we could use as well.

  2. Pre-compiling ruby classes to Java - it seems like this might be an
    important pre-req of successful application monitoring with JRuby so
    that
    application monitoring tools can get Java stack traces. Is that true?
    Has
    anyone else used pre-compiling for the purposes of application
    monitoring?

  3. Are there any other resources and/or experience out there with these
    )
    “enterprise” application monitoring tools in conjunction with JRuby or
    just
    JRuby application monitoring in general?

Thanks!

John W.

Hi,

While I don’t have concrete answers, I can tell you what we are doing.

We are using the JMX gem to monitor our jruby services. It is working
well
for us. Next up we are using Glassfish to host our Rails apps. Over
the
next sprint we are working with the JMX gem to make sure we can surface
application specific JMX beans through the Glassfish Management
interfaces.
We think that ultimately we will be in good shape.

I believe that in the near future I will be looking into working with
SNMP
and JMX from JRuby :stuck_out_tongue:

The hard part for us is getting the product owners to prioritize
monitoring
so that we can focus on it in a sprint.

Jay

[...]

10/17/2008
8:07 AM

Jay,
I’ve been on a JRuby project that’s over a year old now, and has been
using SNMP. I highly recommend SNMP4J instead of the Ruby library. We
had a requirement to support version 3, along with some other
features, and were forced to switch libraries mid-stride. I think the
Ruby SNMP library relies on Timeout, which has had spotty support in
JRuby (for good reason, I hear).

Logan B.
[email protected]
602 714 1148