Mongrel Web Server 0.3.12.4 -- Relaxed Parser, Date Fix


#1

Hello Everyone,

Just a small announcement for Mongrel 0.3.12.4 which fixes the following
things:

  • Corrects the date format returned so that months are three chars only.
  • Fixes a problem where DirHandler wasn’t returning Last-Modified and
    Etag
    headers for unknown MIME types.
  • Implements a default mime type for anything it doesn’t know about, and
    lets you set it via an attribute in DirHandler if you want different.
  • Cleans up the file serving code in DirHandler a bit.
  • Relaxes the parser to that it will accept any request methods as long
    as
    they are upper case, digits, safe chars ($ - _ .) and with length from
    1-20
    characters. Anything outside this restriction is still rejected with a
    close.

It has been tested under the usual platforms (Linux, FreeBSD, OSX,
Win32) so
people on other platforms should report to me any experiences.

You can get information on Mongrel at http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/ and
you
can download it from the gem repositories as soon as it hits the
mirrors.

REPORTING BUGS

A couple people complained that they hate joining mailing lists to
report
bugs. I hate that too. That’s why there’s two yellow bugs on the main
page
which go to:

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?atid=5145&group_id=1306&func=browse

Where you can report bugs and I’ll fix them. If you take a look I’ve
already done 11 bugs.

WIN32 0.3.12.5

The 0.3.12.5 release will be for cleaning up the differences between
POSIX
and Win32 systems. The plan is to get rid of mongrel_rails_service and
the
mongrel_rails_svc command and start using one consistent mongrel_rails
command for all platforms.

CANDA ON RAILS

Finally I’ll be at Canada on Rails and I’m looking to meet with people
who
have problems running Mongrel or who have production applications and
are
interested in getting Mongrel to run them. E-mail me off-list if you’re
interested in meeting up with me.

THE BIG PRODUCTION RELEASE

About a week after Canada on Rails I’ll have everyone’s feedback
incorporated and will do the release that I consider production ready.
I’m
going to version this release as:

Mongrel 0.4 Enterprise Edition 1.2

This is to keep up with the Java trend of tacking the word “Enterprise”
onto
anything they want to sell and giving it two version numbers: one for
developers and one for managers.

If you’re looking for a set of elevator pitches for Mongrel, then I
would
suggest these after this release:

  • “Mongrel powers the Web 2.0 revolution just like Rails.”
  • “Mongrel’s enterprise ready, look, says so right in the name.”
  • “Mongrel’s version 1.2, Rails is only 1.1.58.”
  • “Sure Mongrel can scale, all you do is strap a salmon to the jello
    and
    it scales just fine.”
    – Makes about as much sense as Java’s scalability arguments so
    why
    not.

Enjoy!

Zed A. Shaw


http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/


#2

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006, Zed S. wrote:

  • “Mongrel powers the Web 2.0 revolution just like Rails.”
  • “Mongrel’s enterprise ready, look, says so right in the name.”
  • “Mongrel’s version 1.2, Rails is only 1.1.58.”
  • “Sure Mongrel can scale, all you do is strap a salmon to the jello and > it scales just fine.”
    – Makes about as much sense as Java’s scalability arguments so why not.

zed-

you clearly don’t work in the government or you’d know that the key
producing
robust code is to name it with acronyms - preferably double nested ones.
really good projects have tripple nested acronyms, so you’ve got a ways
to go.

my personal feeling is that when GNU makes that final hurdle and from
double
nesting to tripple is that they’ll toppile microsoft in one quarter.

:wink:

-a


#3

On 4/10/06, removed_email_address@domain.invalid removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

you clearly don’t work in the government or you’d know that the key producing
robust code is to name it with acronyms - preferably double nested ones.
really good projects have tripple nested acronyms, so you’ve got a ways to go.

my personal feeling is that when GNU makes that final hurdle and from double
nesting to tripple is that they’ll toppile microsoft in one quarter.

Like the HURD?

HIRD of Unix Replacing Daemons
HURD of Interfaces Representing Depth

;^)


#4

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006, Jim W. wrote:


touche teacher. touche.

-a


#5

unknown wrote:

my personal feeling is that when GNU makes that final hurdle and from
double
nesting to tripple is that they’ll toppile microsoft in one quarter.

Hmmm … I thought GNU was infintely recursive:

GNU’s Not Unix
(GNU’s Not Unix)'s Not Unix
((GNU’s Not Unix)'s Not Unix)'s Not Unix

– Jim W.


#6

Hey Zed,

On 4/10/06, Zed S. removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

Just a small announcement for Mongrel 0.3.12.4 which fixes the following
things:

Great stuff!

One question, though: any chance of removing the older gems? On a
‘gem update mongrel’, I got 34 (!) choices of which gem to update to.
That seems a bit much, especially since my last installed version was
‘0.3.12.2 (ruby)’.

If not, no big deal. I’d rather see more great work on mongrel than
having the gems cleaned up.

  • Dimitri