Mongrel Web Server 0.3.12.2 -- Iron Mongrel (Parser Fix)


#1

Hello Everyone,

This is an ultra quick announce for a bug fix release to Mongrel. It
corrects a small change in the HTTP parser that causes an error when
people
use multi-part forms in a certain way. The fix is literally 4
characters
changed in the parser specification.

Everyone should update to this release and let me know if their forms
act
really weird. I’ve tested various upload types but some folks seem to
be
doing original upload encodings. This parser should catch them
consistently.

You can upgrade using:

gem upgrade

Or using:

gem install mongrel

I just posted the gems so it might take a bit to get the fix.

Zed A. Shaw


http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/


#2

Zed S. wrote:

consistently.

You can upgrade using:

gem upgrade

Won’t that upgrade ALL of the installed gems?


James B.

?Design depends largely on constraints.?
? Charles Eames


#3

James B. wrote:

Zed S. wrote:

consistently.

You can upgrade using:

gem upgrade

Won’t that upgrade ALL of the installed gems?

No, it wont.

Actually, it won’t do anything.

I’m sure it meant the ‘update’ command. Something like:

gem update mongrel


– Jim W.


#4

James B. wrote:

Jim W. wrote:

Won’t that upgrade ALL of the installed gems?

Ah. But ‘update’ all by itself still updates all gems, without
warning or prompting for confirmation.

Yes, it will. I meant to say that too, but forgot.


– Jim W.


#5

Jim W. wrote:

Won’t that upgrade ALL of the installed gems?

Ah. But ‘update’ all by itself still updates all gems, without
warning or prompting for confirmation.

(At least I think so; I just ran it, then ctrl-C’ed it, when it appeared
as if it was about to fetch updates for everything, which would make me
sad.)


James B.

http://www.rubystuff.com - The Ruby Store for Ruby Stuff
http://www.jamesbritt.com - Playing with Better Toys
http://www.30secondrule.com - Building Better Tools


#6

I just posted the gems so it might take a bit to get the fix.

I do not know, if this is related to the deployment of the gems.

gem install mongrel

Attempting local installation of ‘mongrel’
Local gem file not found: mongrel*.gem
Attempting remote installation of ‘mongrel’
Updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org
Select which gem to install for your platform (powerpc-darwin8.0)

  1. mongrel 0.3.12.2 (ruby)
  2. mongrel 0.3.12.2 (mswin32)
  3. mongrel 0.3.12.1 (mswin32)
  4. mongrel 0.3.12.1 (ruby)
  5. mongrel 0.3.12 (ruby)
  6. mongrel 0.3.12 (mswin32)
  7. mongrel 0.3.11 (ruby)
  8. mongrel 0.3.11 (mswin32)
  9. mongrel 0.3.10.1 (ruby)
  10. mongrel 0.3.10 (ruby)
  11. mongrel 0.3.9 (ruby)
  12. mongrel 0.3.8 (mswin32)
  13. mongrel 0.3.8 (ruby)
  14. mongrel 0.3.7.1 (mswin32)
  15. mongrel 0.3.7.1 (ruby)
  16. mongrel 0.3.7 (ruby)
  17. mongrel 0.3.6 (mswin32)
  18. mongrel 0.3.6 (ruby)
  19. mongrel 0.3.5 (ruby)
  20. mongrel 0.3.5 (mswin32)
  21. mongrel 0.3.4 (ruby)
  22. mongrel 0.3.4 (mswin32)
  23. mongrel 0.3.3 (ruby)
  24. mongrel 0.3.2 (ruby)
  25. mongrel 0.3.1 (ruby)
  26. mongrel 0.3 (ruby)
  27. mongrel 0.2.2 (ruby)
  28. mongrel 0.2.1 (ruby)
  29. mongrel 0.2.0 (ruby)
  30. Cancel installation

1
Install required dependency daemons? [Yn]
ERROR: While executing gem … (ArgumentError)
parse error on line 0, col 31: `!ruby/object:Gem::Specification ’

Jonathan


#7

Jonathan W. wrote:

I just posted the gems so it might take a bit to get the fix.

I do not know, if this is related to the deployment of the gems.

gem install mongrel

Attempting local installation of ‘mongrel’
[…]
Install required dependency daemons? [Yn]
ERROR: While executing gem … (ArgumentError)
parse error on line 0, col 31: `!ruby/object:Gem::Specification ’

Hmmm … my guess is that you are running Ruby 1.8.2 and the daemons gem
was generated on a Ruby 1.8.3 system. 1.8.3 omitted the “—” prefix on
yaml output which makes it incompatible with 1.8.2 systems. The Yaml in
Ruby 1.8.4 generates the ‘—’ (to be compatible with 1.8.2) and will
accept yaml without the ‘—’ (to be compatible with 1.8.3).

Confused yet?

Your course of action is to

(1) upgrade to Ruby 1.8.4
(2) talk the daemons author (or some other kind soul) to provide an
update

There is also a (3) option, which is try out the beta version of the
gems command (which patches 1.8.3 gems on the fly), but we just started
testing that and I’m not recommending it for general consumption yet.


– Jim W.


#8

Jim W. wrote:

Hmmm … my guess is that you are running Ruby 1.8.2 and the daemons gem
was generated on a Ruby 1.8.3 system.

You’re right, I’m on 1.8.2 (on OS X) but I never had any problems with
daemons or older version of Mongrel with it.

I will update Ruby.

Thanks,
Jonathan


#9

Thanks folks, I was rushing to get that fix out since the parser was
broken
for people doing file uploads.

Zed A. Shaw


http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/


#10

Jonathan W. wrote:

Jim W. wrote:

Hmmm … my guess is that you are running Ruby 1.8.2 and the daemons gem
was generated on a Ruby 1.8.3 system.

You’re right, I’m on 1.8.2 (on OS X) but I never had any problems with
daemons or older version of Mongrel with it.

I will update Ruby.

Looks like daemons was just updated today. (Actually, my gemwatcher
tells me that almost 20 gems were updated just today. Wow, busy day!)


– Jim W.