Mode S ADS-B reception

Hello, has anyone tried reception of mode S ADS-B with the
usrp/gnuradio?

MC

Hiya,

A long long time ago - Thu, 13 Apr 2006 11:46:29 +0200 (CEST)
“Matteo C.” removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

Hello, has anyone tried reception of mode S ADS-B with the usrp/gnuradio?

This has recently piqued my interest too but didn’t see any response to
Matteo’s query.

Has anyone looked into this ?

If not, Matteo, I guess it’s up to us :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
Hugh
VK1YYZ/AD5RV

On Thu, Sep 07, 2006 at 10:19:51PM +1000, Hugh Blemings wrote:

If not, Matteo, I guess it’s up to us :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
Hugh
VK1YYZ/AD5RV

Hi Hugh,

I don’t know of anyone who’s done it.
Dive in :wink:

Eric

On Fri, Sep 08, 2006 at 01:58:10AM +0200, Matteo C. wrote:

Hi - I have not done anything along that path yet - in June, at the
hamvention in Fredrichshafen I got the chance to see the SBS-1 device
live… it does what we would like to do with the usrp -
http://www.kinetic-avionics.co.uk/ and it was showing alot of traces by
only means of the vertical shown in the picture.

I am still interested in the subject but I haven’t found any decent
documentation about the protocol by googling a bit around…

I believe the specs are available from RTCA, Inc.

See http://adsb.tc.faa.gov/ADS-B.htm towards the bottom of the page.

Eric

Hi everyone, I have built a brand new vmware image with updated fedora
core 5 and latest gnuradio from trac - obviously the usrp won’t work
because of usb2 not supported on vmware, but it’s a nice to have for on
the run gnuradioing.

Only problem is the image takes 5 GB so it’s kinda akward to be
exchanged
via net…should there be anyone interested in getting it, we could find
way.

cheers
Matteo

Hi Eric, Matteo, All,

Eric & Matteo wrote previously:

Hi - I have not done anything along that path yet - in June, at the
hamvention in Fredrichshafen I got the chance to see the SBS-1 device
live… it does what we would like to do with the usrp -
http://www.kinetic-avionics.co.uk/ and it was showing alot of traces by
only means of the vertical shown in the picture.

Yes, it’s a nice piece of kit.

I am still interested in the subject but I haven’t found any decent
documentation about the protocol by googling a bit around…

I believe the specs are available from RTCA, Inc.

See http://adsb.tc.faa.gov/ADS-B.htm towards the bottom of the page.

Yes, this seems right, the only specs I could find were purchasable
through RTCA for around USD$300 which is getting a little steep for a
hobby project :slight_smile:

This chap (a fellow ham as it turns out) has a little info and some
links;

http://www.tech-software.net/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=2&MMN_position=2:2

Including a reference for the bitstream timing, but not the contents of
the frame. I infer it uses pulse position encoding for the response
based on this link;

http://web.mit.edu/6.933/www/Fall2000/mode-s/modulation.html

I figure I’ll do some more digging around in the first instance for
resources on the web.

Failing that maybe see if I can at least capture some datastreams off
air and see where that leads…

Cheers,
Hugh
VK1YYZ/AD5RV

On Fri, Sep 08, 2006 at 11:55:29AM -0400, Clark P. wrote:

This is a great idea as it took me about a week to install gnuradio and
usrp my first try. If you can make an image that has ALL the gnuradio tools
would be even better, e.g. at least:

*fpga compile (is there a linux altera solution yet)

No free Linux solution

As for distributing, if you can keep it to one dvd maybe Matt would agree
to sell on his web site for a nominal charge, say $15.

Folks, if you use one of the distributions that we like,
everything is already packaged. See
http://gnuradio.org/trac/wiki/BuildGuide
Lots of people are winning big with ubuntu, SuSE 10.1 and FC 5

Eric

Two tumbs up for Ubuntu 6.06 LTS !!!

I ordered my two USRPs about 2 years ago and could
never make it to work under linux (FC3,FC4 RHx…).

I finally gave up on it and started to play USRP under
Windows.

A couple of weeks ago I decided to give Ubuntu a try
– and Voila – its working like a champ…

Angilberto.

— Eric B. removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

http://gnuradio.org/trac/wiki/BuildGuide
Lots of people are winning big with ubuntu, SuSE
10.1 and FC 5

Eric

Discuss-gnuradio mailing list
removed_email_address@domain.invalid

Do You Yahoo!?
http://mail.yahoo.com

Hi Greg,
svn, and grnuradio sources are already onboard, what is missing is geda
and
usrp schematics, which I can easily add
sorry but I do not know what exactly fx2 microcontroller tools
are…maybe I
am still sleepy :slight_smile: (spent last night installing
new Athlon64 MB after my XP died on friday ;( )

regards
Matteo

This is a great idea as it took me about a week to install gnuradio and
usrp
my first try. If you can make an image that has ALL the gnuradio tools
would
be even better, e.g. at least:

*fpga compile (is there a linux altera solution yet)
*svn for pulling the latest code
*gnuradio base and code compile
*the gEDA software and usrp schematics, layout files
*fx2 microcontroller tools

As for distributing, if you can keep it to one dvd maybe Matt would
agree to
sell on his web site for a nominal charge, say $15.

I think it’s just a matter of time before vmware supports usb2.0. Once
we
have that, it’s like you say one click to a working gnuradio and folks
can
spend more time developing and less time configuring.

Thanks,
Clark

Only problem is the image takes 5 GB so it’s kinda akward to be exchanged
Discuss-gnuradio mailing list
removed_email_address@domain.invalid

All-in-one security and maintenance for your PC. Get a free 90-day
trial!
http://www.windowsonecare.com/trial.aspx?sc_cid=msn_hotmail

Hello, I have noticed that the DC offset removal IIR filter that was in
the old gmsk2.py is not there anymore in the new gmsk.py - is
there any
particular reason for that? Or is it simply that it has been
moved
somewhere else along the modules chain?

    regards
    Matteo