Mod_rails and long-running processes

What’s the impact of switching from mongrels to mod_rails with respect
to the ability to support long-running processes within a Rails app, as
opposed to the current situation where they’re best moved off to a
distributed process?

Thanks,
Bill

On Apr 20, 2008, at 9:59 AM, Bill W. wrote:

What’s the impact of switching from mongrels to mod_rails with
respect to the ability to support long-running processes within a
Rails app, as opposed to the current situation where they’re best
moved off to a distributed process?

Thanks,
Bill

That situation doesn’t change, you still need to separate out long
requests.

Cheers-

Ezra Z. wrote:

On Apr 20, 2008, at 9:59 AM, Bill W. wrote:

What’s the impact of switching from mongrels to mod_rails with
respect to the ability to support long-running processes within a
Rails app, as opposed to the current situation where they’re best
moved off to a distributed process?

That situation doesn’t change, you still need to separate out long
requests.

Thanks, Ezra. I realize this doesn’t change the fundamentals of Rails,
but
was hoping it might open some new avenues. We’ve got a user-initiated
file-upload-and-process process that gets used maybe 3 or 4 times a
month.
The current config (mongrel cluster managed by haproxy) throws a proxy
error
for any process that takes more than 30 seconds to complete under the
assumption that a mongrel has become unresponsive. This process takes
considerably more than 30 seconds so the user sees an error page even
though
the process completes successfully. We’re reluctant to eliminate the
haproxy timeout because the mongrels do need to be managed. Our
infrastructure support team is new to Rails (and LAMP) and so we’re
reluctant to insert distributed processes into the mix at this point.
So…

suggestions ?

Thanks,
Bill

On 20 Apr 2008, at 19:48, Ezra Z. wrote:

That situation doesn’t change, you still need to separate out long
requests.

And even if mod_rails did change that, it would still be poor user
experience to have the user just starting at their browser’s load bar
without any progress information (or information that anything at all
is happening).

Fred

On Mon, 2008-04-21 at 07:17 -0500, Bill W. wrote:

requests.
infrastructure support team is new to Rails (and LAMP) and so we’re
reluctant to insert distributed processes into the mix at this point. So…

suggestions ?


backgroundrb plugin

that’s what it was created for

Craig

On Apr 21, 2008, at 5:17 AM, Bill W. wrote:

That situation doesn’t change, you still need to separate out long
assumption that a mongrel has become unresponsive. This process takes
Thanks,
Bill

You are either going to have to break out a background process of
some sort or you are going to need to increase the haproxy timeout to
a large enough value for the long task to complete. No magical way
around it, it’s one of these two paths that you have to take.

Cheers-

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs