Migrations from Mysql to Oracle. PLS HELP!

Hi all,
I’m using Rails/Mysql as development platform. the production server is
under Rails/Oracle.
Right now, i’m trying to install my application under the production
server, the connection to orcale is fine via Rails, but i have a weird
problem. example :
here is a extract from my db scheme :

Table User :_____________
id_user |
first_name |
last_name |
login |
password |
id_profile |
_________________________|

Table Profile :__________
id_profile |
name |
_________________________|

and my Models :
class Profile < ActiveRecord::Base
set_table_name “PROFILE”
set_primary_key “ID_PROFILE”
has_many :user
end

class User < ActiveRecord::Base
set_table_name “user”
set_primary_key “ID_USER”
belongs_to :profil,
:foreign_key => “ID_PROFILE”
end

with the rails console, I try the following command :

x = User.find(1)
=> #<User:0x454cf8b4 @attributes={“id_profile”=>1, “first_name”=>“Nom”,
“last_name”=>“Prenom”, “password”=>“test”, “login”=>“login”,
“id_user”=>1}>

That’s fine. but when iwant to get the user profile :

x.profile
=> nil

x.profile.name
NoMethodError: You have a nil object when you didn’t expect it!
The error occured while evaluating nil.name
from (irb):12

knowing that i did not have any problems with Mysql, what could be the
problem with Oracle ?
Could you help me please ? thanks

Look out for oracle reserved words,

My first bet is PROFILE

Leon L. wrote:

Look out for oracle reserved words,

My first bet is PROFILE

Thank you for your reply.
i have the same problem with the other tables of the database (example:
region, ville, commune) and i don’t think they are reserved word.
it seems that all the relationships doesn’t work in active record once
i’ve switched to oracle.

On Tue, 2006-07-04 at 00:53 +0200, The A. wrote:

Leon L. wrote:

Look out for oracle reserved words,

My first bet is PROFILE

Thank you for your reply.
i have the same problem with the other tables of the database (example:
region, ville, commune) and i don’t think they are reserved word.
it seems that all the relationships doesn’t work in active record once
i’ve switched to oracle.


my thinking was if the column name is id_profile, then the foreign key
should be ‘id_profile’ not ‘ID_PROFILE’ - I don’t think that there is
any forgiveness in the case of these objects…the same is true of table
names, etc.

Craig

my thinking was if the column name is id_profile, then the foreign key
should be ‘id_profile’ not ‘ID_PROFILE’ - I don’t think that there is
any forgiveness in the case of these objects…the same is true of table
names, etc.

Craig

The problem is that the production database is a legacy database and
other applications are working with it. I had to use some workaround to
“shortcut” rails conventions :frowning:

On Tue, 2006-07-04 at 01:20 +0200, The A. wrote:

my thinking was if the column name is id_profile, then the foreign key
should be ‘id_profile’ not ‘ID_PROFILE’ - I don’t think that there is
any forgiveness in the case of these objects…the same is true of table
names, etc.

Craig

The problem is that the production database is a legacy database and
other applications are working with it. I had to use some workaround to
“shortcut” rails conventions :frowning:


try doing a rake schema_dump and see what rails calls the tables &
columns

Craig

On Tue, 2006-07-04 at 02:08 +0200, The A. wrote:

try doing a rake schema_dump and see what rails calls the tables &
columns
i have this error message :
rake aborted!
Don’t know how to build task ‘schema_dump’
did i missed something ?


rake --tasks

rake db:schema:dump

Craig

try doing a rake schema_dump and see what rails calls the tables &
columns
i have this error message :
rake aborted!
Don’t know how to build task ‘schema_dump’
did i missed something ?

rake --tasks

rake db:schema:dump

Craig

this is the result of the command :

Could not dump table “region” because of following

ActiveRecord::StatementInvalid

OCIError: ORA-00918: column ambiguously defined: SELECT

lower(i.index_name) as index_name, i.uniqueness, lowe
r(c.column_name) as column_name
FROM user_indexes i, user_ind_columns c
WHERE i.table_name = ‘REGION’
AND c.index_name = i.index_name
AND i.index_name NOT IN (SELECT index_name FROM
user_constraints WHERE constraint_type = ‘P’)
ORDER BY i.index_name, c.column_position

I have the same error message in the db/schema.rb file for all the
database tables (OCIError: ORA-00918: column ambiguously defined).

Craig W. wrote:

On Tue, 2006-07-04 at 00:53 +0200, The A. wrote:

Leon L. wrote:

Look out for oracle reserved words,

My first bet is PROFILE

Thank you for your reply.
i have the same problem with the other tables of the database (example:
region, ville, commune) and i don’t think they are reserved word.
it seems that all the relationships doesn’t work in active record once
i’ve switched to oracle.


my thinking was if the column name is id_profile, then the foreign key
should be ‘id_profile’ not ‘ID_PROFILE’ - I don’t think that there is
any forgiveness in the case of these objects…the same is true of table
names, etc.

Craig

That’s it ! I’ve changed :foreign_key => “ID_PROFILE” by :foreign_key =>
“id_profile” and it works.
Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs