Memory v.s CPU

Hello, from your experience, what is more important in running a Rails
app, Rails or CPU. Due to my limited budget, I have to choose between (1
GB RAM / Celeron D dedicatd server) and (521 RAM on a VPS (1/32 equal
share) in a very fast machine with 95% CPU bustable)

Thanks you.

John Huynh wrote:

Hello, from your experience, what is more important in running a Rails
app, Rails or CPU. Due to my limited budget, I have to choose between (1
GB RAM / Celeron D dedicatd server) and (521 RAM on a VPS (1/32 equal
share) in a very fast machine with 95% CPU bustable)

Thanks you.

dump the girlfriend, and get buy some more ram for $60.
guy has to have his priorities.

On Dec 21, 2007, at 5:46 AM, John Huynh wrote:

Hello, from your experience, what is more important in running a Rails
app, Rails or CPU. Due to my limited budget, I have to choose
between (1
GB RAM / Celeron D dedicatd server) and (521 RAM on a VPS (1/32 equal
share) in a very fast machine with 95% CPU bustable)

Thanks you.

Ram, rails is ram bound not cpu bound in 95% of the cases I see.

Cheers-

More RAM, definately. And because it’s a dedicated server, as long as
you’re
not running any other CPU intensive processes at the same time the
Celeron D
should be enough… although if you can opt for a Pentium rather than a
Celeron you may find the additional cache helps.

You’ve not specified which OS your server will be based on. I would
assume
the timeshare server is based on *nix. If the dedicated server is also
*nix
then 1GB should be sufficient, however if it will run Windows then you
may
find you need to add more memory.

Gareth Howells, CertHE (Dunelm), BCS
CEO, GForce Industries