Map.resrouces without create or new action?

Hi

Is there a way to use
map.resources
in routes for a controller, but without including the create or new
actions?

Cheers

Daniel ----- wrote:

Hi

Is there a way to use
map.resources
in routes for a controller, but without including the create or new
actions?

Cheers

If the controller does not define the methods they will not exist, but
by default, rails throws and ugly error message. (well no uglier then if
you had misspelled a URL but…) You might instead what to create these
methods and simply have them throw a pretty 404 or maybe 401(<- Some
REST guru will be able to tell you which code to throw)

John

Hey Daniel,

As far as I understand it, all you have to do is not define the create
and new action in your controller.

If those actions are not defined in the controller AND there are no
“new.rhtml” and “create.rhtml” in the views folder, I think it will
behave like you want to.

HTH

~Rohith

Couldn’t you just use a before_filter to redirect to ether a nice
clean error page or even just use the index action instead?

before_filter :show_error, :only => [:new, :create]

def show_error
redirect_to plural_path()
end

On 4/26/07, Robert W. [email protected] wrote:

Couldn’t you just use a before_filter to redirect to ether a nice
clean error page or even just use the index action instead?

before_filter :show_error, :only => [:new, :create]

def show_error
redirect_to plural_path()
end

Really what I was thinking was to not define routes for non-existant
actions. But if I can’t turn some of them off then something like
redirection or a nice error will be sufficient.

Cheers

On 4/25/07, John M. [email protected] wrote:

Cheers

If the controller does not define the methods they will not exist, but
by default, rails throws and ugly error message. (well no uglier then if
you had misspelled a URL but…) You might instead what to create these
methods and simply have them throw a pretty 404 or maybe 401(<- Some
REST guru will be able to tell you which code to throw)

John

I guess it is the nasty Error page that I’m looking to avoid. Thanx for
the
idea.

Cheers
Daniel

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs