Making all my Ruby files pretty

Hello!

I’m trying to make a simple Ruby code beautifier to set me at ease. I
know there’s already rbeautify:

But I need to do some more:

Like making,

comments like these

Into,

Comments like these.

E.g. making sure the first letter after "^# " (if any) is always
uppercase and that every comment line ends with a dot.

As well as,

comments like these.

bla bla.

bla blaaa.

Into,

Comments like these. Bla bla. Bla blaaa.

Every comment is always joined into one line.

I’m not sure exactly what approach to take. Whether to build on
rbeautify or not. I also need the functionality from my old shell
script:

#!/usr/bin/env zsh

for file in $PWD/**/*(.); do

# Check if file is text.
#
if file -b $file | grep -q 'text'; then

    # Remove CRLF, blank lines and trailing white space.
    #
    # In FreeBSD use: sed -e
    #
    tr -d '\r' < $file | sed -E -e 'v/\S/d' -e 's/[[:space:]]+$//' >

$file.tmp

    mv -f $file.tmp $file

echo "$file"

fi

done

Would love to hear what you guys think.

All the best,
Kyrre

Kyrre Nygård wrote:

comments like these.

bla bla.

bla blaaa.

Comments…?

COMMENTS???

Look around you! Do you see any comments in these programs?

(Besides the RDoc meat…:wink:

Phlip

E.g. making sure the first letter after "^# " (if any) is always
uppercase and that every comment line ends with a dot.
[…]
Every comment is always joined into one line.

  • Get a list of files you want to “beautify” (e.g. by means of Dir.glob)
  • Load the contents of these files
  • Use regex to find/replace & upcase for your uppercasing needs
  • Save.

Google will be a wonderful resource for all “yeah, but how?” issues you
might run into along the way. It will be a brief, yet interesting,
programming exercise. Gaining some regex experience never hurts :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Niels

Niels G. wrote:

Google will be a wonderful resource for all “yeah, but how?” issues you
might run into along the way. It will be a brief, yet interesting,
programming exercise. Gaining some regex experience never hurts :slight_smile:

Yeah! What he sed!

Thanks man :slight_smile:

I appreciate it. I wonder why though nobody’s done this kind of thing
before.

Where’s the love?

Kyrre