Lots of duplicate row (except the id) in database

Hi,
I have a 2 tables project and task. The task table has a foreign key on
projects. Whenever, I create a new task through my view, I see my added
task and a new project_id, but my project table keeps on having
duplicate rows for the project, as long as I keep on submitting tasks
for the same project. I thougth that Rails would handle this by itself?
Any idea? Suggestions?

Thanks,
Youssef

On 2/1/08, Youssef S. [email protected] wrote:

I have a 2 tables project and task. The task table has a foreign key on
projects. Whenever, I create a new task through my view, I see my added
task and a new project_id, but my project table keeps on having
duplicate rows for the project, as long as I keep on submitting tasks
for the same project. I thougth that Rails would handle this by itself?
Any idea? Suggestions?

No code = no clue.


Greg D.
http://destiney.com/

Greg D. wrote:

On 2/1/08, Youssef S. [email protected] wrote:

I have a 2 tables project and task. The task table has a foreign key on
projects. Whenever, I create a new task through my view, I see my added
task and a new project_id, but my project table keeps on having
duplicate rows for the project, as long as I keep on submitting tasks
for the same project. I thougth that Rails would handle this by itself?
Any idea? Suggestions?

No code = no clue.


Greg D.
http://destiney.com/

Hi Greg,
Here is my code

def create
@project = Project.new(params[:project])
@task = @project.tasks.build(params[:task])

    if @project.save && @task.save
        flash[:notice] = 'Entry was successfully created.'
        redirect_to :action => 'list'
    else
        render :action => 'new'
    end
end

def new
    @project = Project.new
    @task = Task.new

end

On Feb 1, 11:31 pm, Youssef S. [email protected]
wrote:

        render :action => 'new'
    end
end

def new
    @project = Project.new
    @task = Task.new

end

Hi,

maybe you need to search the database to see if there’s an existing
project entry already and update that one rather than creating one
from scratch each time?

So in create, do something like:

@project = Project.find_by_name(params[:project][:name])

Check out http://railscasts.com/episodes/73 and the two following
episodes to see how to handle this.

Allan

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs