Looking for an array method

Are there any methods which work exactly like []= but return the changed
array, different from []= which returns void?

Sun P. wrote:

Are there any methods which work exactly like []= but return the changed
array, different from []= which returns void?

Array#fill?

a = [0, 1, 2, 3]
=> [0, 1, 2, 3]

irb(main):006:0> a.fill(“x”, 2…2)
=> [0, 1, “x”, 3]

Thanks :slight_smile: do we have such method in String class, too?

2007/6/3, Daniel L. [email protected]:

On 6/3/07, Sun P. [email protected] wrote:

Thanks :slight_smile: do we have such method in String class, too?
irb(main):008:0> a=‘abc’
=> “abc”
irb(main):009:0> a[1]=?a
=> 97
irb(main):013:0> a[1…1]=“a”
=> “a”

thus String#[]= is behaving differently from Array#[]=

Cheers
Robert
You see things; and you say Why?
But I dream things that never were; and I say Why not?
– George Bernard Shaw

Sorry, what I meant was :

a = “abc”
=> “abc”
a (some method with arguments of 1 and “d”)
=> “adc”

I wanted to find out are there any methods behaving like this.

2007/6/3, Robert D. [email protected]:

Sun P. wrote:

Sorry, what I meant was :

a = “abc”
=> “abc”
a (some method with arguments of 1 and “d”)
=> “adc”

I wanted to find out are there any methods behaving like this.

2007/6/3, Robert D. [email protected]:

a = “abc”
a[1,1] = “d”
a # => “adc”
a[1] = ?b
a # => “abc”

Enjoy
Stefan

On 6/3/07, Sun P. [email protected] wrote:

Sorry, what I meant was :

a = “abc”
=> “abc”
a (some method with arguments of 1 and “d”)
=> “adc”

I wanted to find out are there any methods behaving like this.
Yes #[]=, what is wrong with it? Would you prefer a method with a
different name, I am not sure there is one.
Robert

On 6/3/07, Robert D. [email protected] wrote:

different name, I am not sure there is one.
Robert

a = “abc”
p a[1] = “d” # I think the OP wants to see “adc” here
p a # not just here

Harry

A Look into Japanese Ruby List in English
http://www.kakueki.com/

On 6/3/07, Sun P. [email protected] wrote:

Sorry, what I meant was :

a = “abc”
=> “abc”
a (some method with arguments of 1 and “d”)
=> “adc”

I wanted to find out are there any methods behaving like this.

None directly that I know of, but …

a = "abc
a.split(’’).fill(“d”,1,1).join

or

(a[1]=‘d’;a)

On 6/3/07, Stefan R. [email protected] wrote:

2007/6/3, Robert D. [email protected]:
This was not my post!!
Robert

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs