Linux Journal (http://www.linuxjournal.com) is hiring in the Houston
a short term software engineering internship! We’re currently
new system to manage our subscription base and could use a hand. Length
employment would vary with your expertise in various subjects, but the
following are a must:
- At least Junior level (completed 2nd year in university) studying
engineering or related field.
- Strong proficiency in SQL. Experience with PostgreSQL is a plus.
- Familiarity with Java or ability to be familiar before you start.
- Strong self motivation. You’ll be reporting to work each day at an
(in Houston), but your boss will be working with you from abroad.
you must be resourceful and largely be able solve your own problems with
- Fluent in English. Your boss will be bilingual (English/Spanish) but
customer is not.
- Strong attention to detail. Lots of money will hinge on the things
You must be willing to double and triple check your work before
it, as we will largely trust you to do your job.
- Sense of humor. We love our jobs, and we think you should love yours
- Familiarity with Jasper Reports and iReport is a HUGE plus.
- Proficiency in Ruby.
- Web site design in Ruby (with Rails, nitro or plain ol’ cgi), PHP, or
another open source language.
- Familiarity and ability to “whip things up” in Photoshop/Gimp in a
This is a paid position.
Term of employment is negotiable, largely depending on which skills of
above you have and how well you fit with the rest of the team, but would
minimum of 1 - 3 months. Hours are also fairly flexible. I’d be happy
discuss specifics and address any needs or concerns you may have before
To apply, please send a rÃ©sumÃ©, description of why you should be our
and/or other things you think we might find helpful to Kevin B. at