Linking a .swf file in a rails document

Hi,

I have a little .swf movie I’d like to have in my page. Is there a
rails way of linking it?

Thanks,
Peter

No. But you could use http://blog.deconcept.com/flashobject/ and build a
Rails Helper around it.

btw. Campfire (37Signals, DHH) also seems to use flash. I took a look
at
the HTML sources a few days ago and they seem to include the Macromedia
Flash/JS bridge, which also contains functions for embedding a swf.

Peter
> I have a little .swf movie I’d like to have in my page. Is there a
> rails way of linking it?

It’s not a Rails way, but the standard html way works fine:

Example (C&Pasted from a working app.) :

	    <OBJECT classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"

codebase=“http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,0,0
WIDTH=“550” HEIGHT=“400” id=“CGAintro” ALIGN=“”>

<%= link_to “Skip intro” , {:action => :home} %>

Alain

Hi Alain,

Thanks for the code snip. Where is your file “your_movie.swf”?

Peter

Alain,

I tested but seems not working for me. Got a message like movie not
loaded
I pasted your code in a rhtml file, and include the .swf in the public
directory
Any help

Rgs

Peter
> Thanks for the code snip. Where is your file “your_movie.swf”?

In the public root :

  <rails_app_root>/public/your_movie.swf

Alain

I’ve have another problem, every time I go to another page the flash
dissapears, It’s like the link changes.

I’m using the flash in a layout placed in every page of the system.

Can you help me please?!

Hi Rgs,

I got this working but had a problem at first also. My problem was I
didn’t notice that the .swf filename is written twice in Alain’s code.
When I changed both then everything was ok. It was even ok if I moved
the file into my images directory and used ‘images/theFIle.swf’ twice
in Alain’s code.

Peter

Carlos Aldas wrote:

I’ve have another problem, every time I go to another page the flash
dissapears, It’s like the link changes.

I’m using the flash in a layout placed in every page of the system.

Can you help me please?!

Check the generated HTML. Make sure it’s pointing to the URL you expect
it to.

Best,

Marnen Laibow-Koser
http://www.marnen.org