Kernel: nginx[18233]: segfault at 0000000000000008 rip 000000000043edf8 rsp 00007fff34a21fa0 error 4

I having this message which i posted in subject repeating a lot in
/var/log/messages,is this some kind of bug?Nginx ver 1.0.1

Hello!

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 03:02:28PM +0200, John T. wrote:

I having this message which i posted in subject repeating a lot in
/var/log/messages,is this some kind of bug?Nginx ver 1.0.1

Segmentation fault is always some kind of bug (though not always
in the programm which actually segfaults).

Please provide at least nginx -V output, config and backtrace.
See here for more details:

http://wiki.nginx.org/Debugging

Maxim D.

Here is output of V along with full conf options,not sure how to do
backtrace.
nginx: nginx version: nginx/1.0.1
nginx: built by gcc 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-48)
nginx: TLS SNI support disabled
nginx: configure arguments: --sbin-path=/usr/local/sbin
–with-http_ssl_module --with-http_geoip_module
–without-http_autoindex_module --without-mail_pop3_module
–without-mail_imap_module --without-mail_smtp_module
–with-http_stub_st
atus_module

He gave you a hint: http://wiki.nginx.org/Debugging

It’s a bit different segfault now: segfault at 0000000000000008 rip
000000000043a5ab rsp 00007fff43146db0 error 4
Probably because i upgraded to version 1.3.I didn’t do debugging,but i
found out what exactly module causing segfault-it’s geoip module.I
noticed by reverting to ver seven first,and segfault occurred
again,including when i changed conf to configure without SSI and
SSL.Before this segfault error i didn’t used geoip module.Perhaps is
nginx overloaded due to a lot of request from redirected countries.Any
idea how to fix it?

Hello!

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 05:59:38PM +0200, John T. wrote:

It’s a bit different segfault now: segfault at 0000000000000008 rip
000000000043a5ab rsp 00007fff43146db0 error 4
Probably because i upgraded to version 1.3.I didn’t do debugging,but i
found out what exactly module causing segfault-it’s geoip module.I
noticed by reverting to ver seven first,and segfault occurred
again,including when i changed conf to configure without SSI and
SSL.Before this segfault error i didn’t used geoip module.Perhaps is
nginx overloaded due to a lot of request from redirected countries.Any
idea how to fix it?

You may want to debug it further (see http://wiki.nginx.org/Debugging),
but please note that MaxMind’s GeoIP library (the one which geoip
module uses) segfaults on incorrect/corrupted database[1].
Checking if your MaxMind’s database isn’t corrupted is a good idea.

[1] And this is one of the reasons I recommend using geo module
instead and always wonder if people use geoip.

Maxim D.

Hello everyone I new member ^^"

Posted at Nginx Forum:
http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,197782,202837#msg-202837

Ok finally managed to do debugging after screwing around and also trying
geomodule with maxmind(same segfault like on geoip module)and here is
result of debugging:
Reading symbols from /usr/local/sbin/nginx…done.
Reading symbols from /lib64/libpthread.so.0…(no debugging symbols
found)…done.
Loaded symbols for /lib64/libpthread.so.0
Reading symbols from /lib64/libcrypt.so.1…(no debugging symbols
found)…done.
Loaded symbols for /lib64/libcrypt.so.1
Reading symbols from /lib64/libpcre.so.0…(no debugging symbols
found)…done.
Loaded symbols for /lib64/libpcre.so.0
Reading symbols from /lib64/libcrypto.so.6…(no debugging symbols
found)…done.
Loaded symbols for /lib64/libcrypto.so.6
Reading symbols from /usr/lib64/libz.so.1…(no debugging symbols
found)…done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/lib64/libz.so.1
Reading symbols from /lib64/libc.so.6…(no debugging symbols
found)…done.
Loaded symbols for /lib64/libc.so.6
Reading symbols from /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2…(no debugging symbols
found)…done.
Loaded symbols for /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
Reading symbols from /lib64/libdl.so.2…(no debugging symbols
found)…done.
Loaded symbols for /lib64/libdl.so.2
Reading symbols from /lib64/libnss_files.so.2…(no debugging symbols
found)…done.
Loaded symbols for /lib64/libnss_files.so.2
Reading symbols from /lib64/libnss_dns.so.2…(no debugging symbols
found)…done.
Loaded symbols for /lib64/libnss_dns.so.2
Reading symbols from /lib64/libresolv.so.2…(no debugging symbols
found)…done.
Loaded symbols for /lib64/libresolv.so.2
Core was generated by `nginx: worker process’.
Program terminated with signal 11, Segmentation fault.
#0 0x000000000043a55b in ngx_http_upstream_init_request (r=0x6341530)
at src/http/ngx_http_upstream.c:622
622 if (uscf->peer.init(r, uscf) != NGX_OK) {

Bump…

Anything ?

I managed to find out how this was caused by single domain,but that
domain is important too.So also what i found,it seems any kind of ip
manipulation causes segmentation fault,including access control.So if i
put a single deny ip into conf of that domain,seg fault will occur.Tried
to find pattern or anything but nothing so far i was able to
find.Weirdest bug ever.

This bug still occur even after upgrading to latest version.I really
dont understood why this domain causing seg fault…And i really need
geo ip there because it’s domain where i receiving more traffic then any
other domain.

Hello!

On Sun, Nov 20, 2011 at 04:37:23PM +0100, John T. wrote:

This bug still occur even after upgrading to latest version.I really
dont understood why this domain causing seg fault…And i really need
geo ip there because it’s domain where i receiving more traffic then any
other domain.

You’ve been already pointed to this link:
http://wiki.nginx.org/Debugging

Do you have backtrace?

Maxim D.

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs