$KCODE and encodings

I was searching for string encoding issues in Ruby. Here is the summary
of what I learnt, in case its useful to anyone else of if anyone has any
corrections to this.

Ruby 1.8 support for encoding:

  •     A comment like "# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-" at the start of the

file is supposed to determine how to parse a .rb file, but I haven’t
really figured out how to make this work. Non-ansi characters cause an
error while loading the file.

  •     ruby.exe -K<kcode> sets $KCODE (which can also be set

programmaticaly)

  •     $KCODE affects the following:

  •     Determines the encoding to use to parse .rb files. Normally,

identifiers have to be ANSI, but the limitation is removed if $KCODE is
set to “UTF8”.

  •     Affects whether inspect escapes non-ascii chars, or if it

leaves them as is.

  •     Affects how regexps without an explicit encoding interpret the

input string.

Ruby 1.9 support for encodings:

  •     Identifiers can be non-ANSI by default.

Ruby 2.0 support for encodings:

  •     Each string and symbol knows its own encoding, and

String#force_encoding can change the encoding of an existing string.

  •     IO#encoding to control encoding to use for reading/writing

from disk

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 5:01 PM, Shri B.
[email protected]wrote:

Ruby 1.8 support for encoding:

· A comment like “# -- coding: utf-8 --” at the start of the
file is supposed to determine how to parse a .rb file, but I haven’t really
figured out how to make this work. Non-ansi characters cause an error while

Did the utf-8 file(s) you tried have a BOM or not?

-Matthew

If I use Notepad2’s menu to set the encoding to “UTF8 with signature”,
and run either “ruby utf8_with_signature.rb” or “ruby -Ku
utf8_with_signature.rb”, the file fails to parse. The file is attached.

If I save the file with encoding set just as “UTF8”, the file is 3 bytes
smaller. “ruby utf8.rb” fails, but “ruby -Ku utf8.rb” works. With “-Ku”,
things work even if I do not have “# -- coding: utf-8 --” in the file.

The repro files are attached.