JRuby on Rails on Google App Engine


#1

Hi friends,

As you might have heard, Google has released support for Java on App
Engine.

I’ve been part of a preview, and know that JRuby, Ruby on Rails and Merb
works very well on it.

More information here:
http://olabini.com/blog/2009/04/java-on-google-app-engine/
http://olabini.com/blog/2009/04/dynamic-languages-on-google-app-engine-an-overview/
http://olabini.com/blog/2009/04/jruby-on-rails-on-google-app-engine/

Cheers


Ola B. (http://olabini.com)
Ioke creator (http://ioke.org)
JRuby Core Developer (http://jruby.org)
Developer, ThoughtWorks Studios (http://studios.thoughtworks.com)
Practical JRuby on Rails (http://apress.com/book/view/9781590598818)

“Yields falsehood when quined” yields falsehood when quined.


#2

That’s awesome. I’m definitely giving this a second look now…

–Jeremy

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 12:21 AM, Ola B. removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

http://olabini.com/blog/2009/04/jruby-on-rails-on-google-app-engine/
“Yields falsehood when quined” yields falsehood when quined.


http://jeremymcanally.com/
http://entp.com/

My books:


http://humblelittlerubybook.com/ (FREE!)


#3

Ola B. wrote:

Hi friends,

As you might have heard, Google has released support for Java on App
Engine.

I’ve been part of a preview, and know that JRuby, Ruby on Rails and Merb
works very well on it.

That’s so awesome! Thanks for working on this, it’s a really excellent
surprise.

  • Charlie

#4

This is really cool!

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 11:32 AM, Charles Oliver N. <


#5

Charles Oliver N. wrote:

surprise.
Ramaze and Sinatra work as well.

(I need to write up some instructions for Ramaze because you need a
patch to work around the GAE restriction on threads.)


James B.

www.jamesbritt.com - Playing with Better Toys
www.ruby-doc.org - Ruby Help & Documentation
www.rubystuff.com - The Ruby Store for Ruby Stuff


#6

James B. wrote:

Ramaze and Sinatra work as well.

(I need to write up some instructions for Ramaze because you need a
patch to work around the GAE restriction on threads.)

Cool, so it sounds like Rails, Merb, Sinatra, Ramaze, and Tom Enebo’s
“Ruvlets” have all been successfully deployed.

There’s a project in progress to make GAE deployment as simple as
possible…stay tuned!

  • Charlie

#7

Charles Oliver N. wrote:

possible…stay tuned!
Very good stuff going on.

And if anyone doubts the power of IRC, I got amazing help from folks on
#jruby and #ramaze on freenode while getting Ramaze running on GAE.

It’s a 24-hour hackfest.


James B.

www.jamesbritt.com - Playing with Better Toys
www.ruby-doc.org - Ruby Help & Documentation
www.rubystuff.com - The Ruby Store for Ruby Stuff