JRuby on Android and Java ME


#1

I realized I had not posted anything here about two new developments
this week.

First, I have gotten JRuby running successfully on Android, using the
SDK and emulator:

I’m calling the project Ruboto. So far this is pretty much stock JRuby
1.2RC1 recompiled for Dalvik and stuffed into the device. Future plans
include removing libraries that will never work and adding Ruby APIs for
Android features. I’ve run into a couple Android bugs that need to be
address, but it’s very promising.

The second project hit its first really big milestone about an hour ago.
Welcome to JRuby for Java ME:

In this case, much more gutting was required. I ripped out or replaced
code that depended on Java 5 or Java 1.4 APIs until it was small enough
to retroweave to Java 1.3 and run on a CDC reference implementation
VM+APIs. And hey, it actually appears to work. Future plans for this
include continuing to trim out code that will never work, getting Java
integration simplified and clean, and shrinking the footprint even more.

And in both cases, they’ll be driving work on an all-encompassing
ahead-of-time compilation toolchain, so that you can have the benefits
of compilation even on devices that won’t support parsing, interpreting,
or bytecode generation on the fly.

Questions, comments, and patches are always happily accepted :slight_smile:

  • Charlie

To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

#2

Sweet! You continue to astound…

Forrest


To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

#3

Charles Oliver N. said…

http://blog.headius.com/2009/02/jruby-on-java-me.html

Awesome, Charlie. Absolutely awesome!


Cheers,
Marc


To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email