JRuby 1.1.3 by end of week...Nominate problems here

We plan on trying to release JRuby 1.1.3 by the end of the week
(hopefully on Thursday). If people have “must-haves” or
“it-would-be-dreadfully-nice-if” issues, then please let us know. We
have a three or so days to square things away. One issue is adding 64
bit support for Linux POSIX functions…others?

-Tom


Blog: http://www.bloglines.com/blog/ThomasEEnebo
Email: [email protected] , [email protected]


To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

On Jul 14, 2008, at 12:35 PM, Thomas E Enebo wrote:

We plan on trying to release JRuby 1.1.3 by the end of the week
(hopefully on Thursday). If people have “must-haves” or
“it-would-be-dreadfully-nice-if” issues, then please let us know. We
have a three or so days to square things away. One issue is adding 64
bit support for Linux POSIX functions…others?

It-would-be-terribly-nice-if ticket JRUBY-2739 and related tickets
were solved. The Socket class is still far from matching MRI
functionality for methods like #accept, #connect and #bind.

cr


To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

I don’t know if you typically release new versions of related projects
(specifically, Warbler && JRuby-Rack) at the same time as you release a
new
version of JRuby, but I’d like an official release of JRuby-Rack/Warbler
that includes the fix of issue 2507 (
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/JRUBY-2507).

Thanks so much for your hard work!

  • Myron

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll try to get a new release of Warbler and
JRuby-Rack that includes the latest of all + JRuby 1.1.3. I’m at a
conference this weekend so depending on how much free time I have it
might have to wait until Monday.

Cheers,
/Nick

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 7:40 PM, Myron M. [email protected]
wrote:

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 2:12 AM, Chuck R. [email protected] wrote:

It-would-be-terribly-nice-if ticket JRUBY-2739 and related tickets were


To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

Awesome! Thanks for all the hard work you guys are putting into JRuby.
My
project wouldn’t be possible without it.

Hi Tom, :slight_smile:

These two bugs are very high on my list:

  1. JRUBY-2495: Requiring and using a Java library that ends up using a
    Thread Context classloader doesn’t work.

I’ve seen this issue popping up in user questions over and over again
(on mailing list, and on IRC), and the jira issue has many comments
with lots of various use cases where it affects JRuby users
(xmldecoder, spring container, jdbc dirvers).

Recently, Charlie had a great idea on how to resolve that without
breaking those apps that run inside app servers.

It would be really nice to have that fixed in 1.1.3, this would
improve JRuby usability in some cases tremendously.

  1. JRUBY-2454: Regression: Control-C doesn’t kill RubySpec test run

This affects me directly, since I run rubyspecs all day long and
inability to kill the run is really annoying. I’m chicken enough not
to fix this by myself (yet), but I thought it worth just bring it up,
just in case. :slight_smile:

Thanks,
–Vladimir

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 7:35 PM, Thomas E Enebo [email protected]
wrote:

We plan on trying to release JRuby 1.1.3 by the end of the week
(hopefully on Thursday). If people have “must-haves” or
“it-would-be-dreadfully-nice-if” issues, then please let us know.


To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

I have a request.

The fix to the following issue helped with one user’s problem but
created another for instances where the “unwanted” conversion from an
Oracle ‘Date’ field (looks like a Datetime with 00:00:00 time) to a
JRuby Date is actually wanted:
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/JRUBY-2312

More precisely, (in contrast to Rails with MRI Ruby) in Rails using
JRuby the results of an SQL query with trunc operation on a date field
in the Select clause are stored as Jruby Time with the 00:00:00 format
noted in JRUBY-2312 rather than as a Jruby Date having no time
component, which is my preference. In MRI Ruby on Rails, the trunc SQL
operation causes Ruby to recognize the Oracle Date field as a Ruby Date.

I’m looking into a solution, but I need help.

Hi,

JRUBY-2472, This bug which exists when using Jruby 1.1.2 with rails 2.1.
On rails 2.0.2 and 1.2.6 the problem does not occur.

Thanks!

Vladimir S. wrote:

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 7:35 PM, Thomas E Enebo [email protected] wrote:

We plan on trying to release JRuby 1.1.3 by the end of the week
(hopefully on Thursday). If people have “must-haves” or
“it-would-be-dreadfully-nice-if” issues, then please let us know.


To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

Calloway, Thomas wrote:

I have a request.

The fix to the following issue helped with one user’s problem but
created another for instances where the “unwanted” conversion from an
Oracle ‘Date’ field (looks like a Datetime with 00:00:00 time) to a
JRuby Date is actually wanted:
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/JRUBY-2312

Fixes to AR-JDBC aren’t bound to any JRuby release, so we can discuss
this one without any huge rush. Could you open a new bug to discuss the
new problems with this fix?

  • Charlie

To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

I would second a vote for:
JRUBY-2495: Requiring and using a Java library that ends up using a
Thread Context classloader doesn’t work.

Along with, if possible, Class.forName(String className), it does not
use
the JRuby class loader. Workaround is to use the
Class.forName(className,
classLoader) method. But, it would be nice not to have to. Maybe a
Class.for_name(className) that does it right?

Thanks

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 8:57 AM, Charles Oliver N. <

Andres K. wrote:

Hi,

JRUBY-2472, This bug which exists when using Jruby 1.1.2 with rails 2.1.
On rails 2.0.2 and 1.2.6 the problem does not occur.

Resolved yesterday…perhaps one of the quickest resolutions yet :slight_smile:

  • Charlie

To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

Chuck R. wrote:

It-would-be-terribly-nice-if ticket JRUBY-2739 and related tickets were
solved. The Socket class is still far from matching MRI functionality
for methods like #accept, #connect and #bind.

It would be, wouldn’t it! Unfortunately, while we did fix a number of
socket failures, those pesky spec writers found a whole bunch more. It
would really help prioritization if folks like you could pick out
specific failures/issues and file bugs independently for them. Then
we’ll know they’re higher prioriy/visibility and try to get them in.

  • Charlie

To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

Vladimir S. wrote:

  1. JRUBY-2495: Requiring and using a Java library that ends up using a
    Thread Context classloader doesn’t work.
  2. JRUBY-2454: Regression: Control-C doesn’t kill RubySpec test run

Both of these should be resolved shortly. Just sorting out the details
now.

  • Charlie

To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

Chuck R. wrote:

No problem. I didn’t really expect these to get tackled for 1.1.3
anyway. When my use-case at work becomes a blocker, I’ll likely sit down
and write the patch(es) myself. I certainly don’t expect all forward
progress on jruby to come just from you guys…

And obviously this is the model we’d love to see more folks follow :slight_smile:
JRuby is still only manned by two full-time folks, and we’ve even lost
some of our bigger part-time contributors to “real work” over the past
several months.

  • Charlie

To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

On Jul 16, 2008, at 3:29 AM, Charles Oliver N. wrote:

get them in.
No problem. I didn’t really expect these to get tackled for 1.1.3
anyway. When my use-case at work becomes a blocker, I’ll likely sit
down and write the patch(es) myself. I certainly don’t expect all
forward progress on jruby to come just from you guys…

cr


To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs