Jamis, problem w/Capistrano


#1

Jamis,

I’ve spent hours trying to get Capistrano working, to no avail. I’m
hosting over at www.railsplayground.com, and here’s their instructions
I’ve been following:

http://tinyurl.com/hyo93

I can’t get past step 7. When I execute “rake remote:setup”, I get a
rake aborted! message. When I do a “rake --tasks”, I get only a small
subset of commands - the support guy at the host sent me a screen shot
of his “rake --tasks”, and he’s got a LOT more commands than I do.

What am I doing wrong? Or are his instructions wrong?


#2

Jamis,

Forgot to mention - my local box is WinXP, railsplayground server is
Linux, fwiw…


#3

“Peter J.” removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote
in message news:removed_email_address@domain.invalid…

Jamis,

Forgot to mention - my local box is WinXP, railsplayground server is
Linux, fwiw…

Peter

I’m having exactly the same problem, and I’m deploying from a windows
box to
linux too. See my earlier thread ‘Capistrano on windows (again)’ for
specific details of my problem. I think the issue lies with the windows
environment. We could be missing a required library

al


#4

Alan,

I finally resolved the problem. I simply created a new rails app,
copied my existing app into the new app’s folders, and then followed the
setup procedure for Capistrano. All is well now.

I think the problem had to do with the file ‘Rakefile’ in the app’s
root folder. Before I generated the new app, this file was pretty big -
and I had never manually touched it. The new file is very short, 10
lines to be exact.

Hope this helps…


#5

Alan,

Forgot to mention - when I copied my existing app to the new app folder,
I didn’t copy the existing Rakefile - I left the new one intact that was
just created.