Issue with has_and_belongs_to_many connection to an inherited subclass

I am trying to connect two classes (conversation and user) by a many-to-many relationship in Ruby on Rails. I set them both up and added a connection table called conversations_custom_users to connect them and it was working. Once we needed our User model to inherit from another User model, setting conversations in a user object was failing and looking for a connection table with the parent class.

My classes and the conversation migration looks like below (I haven’t modified the User migration for the many-to-many relationship):

class CustomUser < Spree::User
       serialize :resources, Array
       has_and_belongs_to_many :conversations, :foreign_key => :conversation_ids, class_name: 'Conversation'
end

class Conversation < ApplicationRecord
    has_and_belongs_to_many :receiver, :foreign_key => :receiver_id, class_name: 'CustomUser'
end

class CreateConversations < ActiveRecord::Migration[6.1]
   def change
      create_table :conversations do |t|
         t.timestamps
      end

create_table :conversations_custom_users, id: false do |t|
         t.belongs_to :conversation, foreign_key: 'conversation_id', index: true
         t.belongs_to :custom_user, foreign_key: 'receiver_id', index: true
       end
  end
end

I think I shouldn’t need to add another table called conversations_spree_users, but I also tried adding one. It didn’t solve the problem since then Rails was looking for a spree_user_id field. I also tried adding the spree_user_id field to the conversations_spree_users table, but it wouldn’t migrate because it was a duplicate column name!

I think I’m missing something about many-to-many relations or inheritance or both in Ruby. If someone can help with this issue I’d really appreciate it.

check your error log and show it here

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs