Is there any separate editor for ruby?

Hai Friends,
Is there any separate editor for ruby?
If it is there Please you could tell to me.
where I can getting the package,I am RedHat EL4 version OS.
how i am going to install that package.I heard that one separate editor
is there.
I am not sure,with that I have asking to you.
Please tell me.

by
Vellingiri.

Vellingiri A. wrote:

Hai Friends,
Is there any separate editor for ruby?
If it is there Please you could tell to me.
where I can getting the package,I am RedHat EL4 version OS.
how i am going to install that package.I heard that one separate editor
is there.
I am not sure,with that I have asking to you.
Please tell me.

by
Vellingiri.

$ vim myfile.rb

7stud – wrote:

$ vim myfile.rb

Actually, do this first:

$ vimtutor

7stud – wrote:

Vellingiri A. wrote:

Hai Friends,
Is there any separate editor for ruby?
If it is there Please you could tell to me.
where I can getting the package,I am RedHat EL4 version OS.
how i am going to install that package.I heard that one separate editor
is there.
I am not sure,with that I have asking to you.
Please tell me.

by
Vellingiri.

$ vim myfile.rb

Dear Friend,
Other that that vi,emacs,vim,is there any editor is there.

On 20 Sep 2007, at 17:25, Vellingiri A. wrote:

Please tell me.

by
Vellingiri.

$ vim myfile.rb

Dear Friend,
Other that that vi,emacs,vim,is there any editor is there.

Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.

This is a very frequently asked question and there are many options
available. Your best bet is probably to search the archives for the
last big thread.

Alex G.

Bioinformatics Center
Kyoto University

Please tell me.

I use Aptana

On Sep 20, 11:25 am, Vellingiri A. [email protected]
wrote:

7stud – wrote:

$ vim myfile.rb

Dear Friend,
Other that that vi,emacs,vim,is there any editor is there.

Why would you want a separate editor program in the first place? Do
you know any example of such an editor suitable exclusively for some
other programming language? Can you estimate how much time/effort
would it take to develop a working editor for every new programming
language? :wink:

I use GNU Emacs with ruby-mode and I’m pretty happy with it. Please
no holy wars…

Vellingiri A. wrote:

Good starting point:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_text_editors

Personally I suggest Vim/Emacs for people likely to need a GOOD editor,
edit a
lot of textual files, or use different programming languages and not
want to
learn a different editor per language.

KATE is a very good editor and very easy to use/learn – I’m clueless to
any
Gnome equivalent.

TerryP.

On Sep 24, 6:38 pm, “Terry P.” [email protected] wrote:

Please tell me.

TerryP.

Email and shopping with the feelgood factor!
55% of income to good causes.http://www.ippimail.com


I am very happy with Komodo 4.2.

It helps me work with Ruby and Ruby on rails easily.

One of the best IDE i have experienced.

Hope this helps

7stud – wrote:

Currently, I know how to mark and copy text in a file I am editing, say
ruby1.rb, then I can type

:set other.rb

Whoops. That should be:

:split other.rb

and paste what I copied into other.rb.

Then I type:

:w
:q

to save the text to other.rb, which closes other.rb and lets me continue
editing ruby1.rb.

What I want to be able to do is
while editing ruby1.rb, open other.rb, mark and copy some lines from
other.rb, and then paste the lines into ruby1.rb.

Thanks for any help.

7stud – wrote:

What I want to be able to do is
while editing ruby1.rb, open other.rb, mark and copy some lines from
other.rb, and then paste the lines into ruby1.rb.
Doesn’t this only differ in which window has focus while you’re marking
and pasting? Unless I’m missing something, you:

  1. gvim ruby1.rb
  2. :split other.rb
  3. mark the region in other.rb
  4. y
  5. C-w l to switch back to ruby1.rb
  6. p :w

Which is exactly what you just described, with other.rb and ruby1.rb
switched in steps 3 and 5. Did I miss something?

Terry P. wrote:

Vellingiri A. wrote:

Good starting point:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_text_editors

Personally I suggest Vim/Emacs for people likely to need a GOOD editor,
edit a
lot of textual files, or use different programming languages and not
want to
learn a different editor per language.

Ok, you sound like you might know vim pretty well. Is there a way to
copy text from another file into the file you are editing? I can send
text from the file I am editing to another file, but I want to do the
reverse.

Currently, I know how to mark and copy text in a file I am editing, say
ruby1.rb, then I can type

:set other.rb

and paste what I copied into other.rb. What I want to be able to do is
while editing ruby1.rb, open other.rb, mark and copy some lines from
other.rb, and then paste the lines into ruby1.rb.

Thanks for any help.

Alex Y. wrote:

  1. y

Which is exactly what you just described, with other.rb and ruby1.rb
switched in steps 3 and 5. Did I miss something?

Arrgh. I was using ‘yy’ instead of ‘y’. Thanks.

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs