Is there a way to obtain the computer name using ruby?

Hi, all

I am using ruby with watir to make some small scripts. I want to obtain
the name of the computer where my script is running from. Is there a
way to obtain the computer name using ruby?

Thanks

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 2:48 PM, Mike J. [email protected]
wrote:

Socket.gethostname


“Hey brother Christian with your high and mighty errand, Your actions
speak
so loud, I can’t hear a word you’re saying.”

-Greg Graffin (Bad Religion)

Glen H. wrote:

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 2:48 PM, Mike J. [email protected]
wrote:

Socket.gethostname


“Hey brother Christian with your high and mighty errand, Your actions
speak
so loud, I can’t hear a word you’re saying.”

-Greg Graffin (Bad Religion)

Did not know that one, thid works too:

ENV[“COMPUTERNAME”]

regards,

Siep

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Mike J. wrote:
| Hi, all
|
| I am using ruby with watir to make some small scripts. I want to obtain
| the name of the computer where my script is running from. Is there a
| way to obtain the computer name using ruby?
|
| Thanks

Well, there’s ENV[‘USERDOMAIN’], and ENV[‘LOGONSERVER’], taken from the
environment variables.

Those might not be useful in an LDAP / Active directory environment,
though. But then an LDAP gem should have an API to get the computer’s
name.


Phillip G.
Twitter: twitter.com/cynicalryan

~ Thank you. before I begin, I’d like everyone to notice that my
report
is in a professional, clear plastic binder…When a report looks this
good, you know it’ll get an A. That’s a tip kids. Write it down. –
Calvin
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.8 (MingW32)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iEYEARECAAYFAkgFF/UACgkQbtAgaoJTgL+YmgCggd8DUvR4DK4sEk9QY5Ui5Ivo
yo0AnR62VqtY1BLjbSzXnSeKDhs5Al2x
=MXVE
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Mike J. wrote:

Hi, all

I am using ruby with watir to make some small scripts. I want to obtain
the name of the computer where my script is running from. Is there a
way to obtain the computer name using ruby?

Thanks

name = hostname

More or less.

Don’t recall if this works in Windows, but there should be something
similar that returns machine info


James B.

“Judge a man by his questions, rather than his answers.”

  • Voltaire

Thank you Glen! This is exactly what I want. :slight_smile:

Thanks all for helping me!

On 15.04.2008 23:03, Siep K. wrote:

-Greg Graffin (Bad Religion)

Did not know that one, thid works too:

ENV[“COMPUTERNAME”]

I would discourage using this approach as it is very error prone and not
portable.

Kind regards

robert

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs