JD

From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Mohammad A.
Sent: Thursday, September 24, 2009 1:07 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [Ironruby-core] Is there a But keyword in Cucumber?

I am using Cucumber and now I need to use a But keyword (if there is
any)

Scenario Outline: Find if the number if prime or not
Given I have a number
When I pass the to the prime service
Then the service should display indicating whether input is
prime or not
But if the number is negative
Then the prime service should throw an exception

But it shows up as “Then” and not “But”. Is there anything related to
“But” in Cucumber.

Mohammad A.
MVP (Microsoft Valuable Professional)
www.highoncoding.comhttp://www.highoncoding.com
www.azamsharp.comhttp://www.azamsharp.com

Actually I also thought of that and I did separated them in multiple
scenarios. Now, I am having trouble writing the step.
Here is the feature file:

Feature: Prime Service

As a crazy person I need to know whether a number is prime or not

Scenario Outline: Find if the number if prime or not
Given I have a number
When I pass the to the prime service
Then the service should display indicating whether input is
prime
or not

Examples:

| number| result|
| 1 | false |
| 2 | true |
| 3 | true |
| 4 | false |

Scenario Outline: Throw exception if the number is negative
Given I have a negative number
When I pass the to the prime service
Then the service should return false

Examples:

| number|
| -1 |
| -2 |
| -3 |
| -4 |

And here are the steps:

require ‘rubygems’
require ‘spec/expectations’

require File.expand_path(“bin/Debug/BusinessObjects.dll”)

include BusinessObjects

Before do

@primeService = PrimeService.new

end

Given /I have a number/ do

end

When “I pass the $number to the prime service” do |number|

@result = @primeService.IsPrime(number.to_i)

end

Then /the service should display (.*) indicating whether input is prime
or
not/ do |result|

@result.to_s.should == result

end

Given /I have a negative number/ do

end

When “I pass the $number to the prime service” do |number|

@result = @primeService.IsPrime(number.to_i)

end

Then /the service should return (.*)/ do |result|

@result.to_s.should == result

end

Also, not sure how to check for exception right now!

I am having trouble in where to throw the exception. The exception will
be
thrown in “When” and not “Then” as shown below:
Scenario Outline: Throw exception if the number is negative
Given I have a negative number
When I pass the negative <n_number> to the prime service
Then the service should throw exception

*Steps: *

Given /I have a negative number/ do

end

When “I pass the negative $n_number to the prime service” do |n_number|

{@primeService.IsPrime(n_number.to_i)}.should raise_error

end

Then /the service should throw exception/ do

end

*The above throws the following exception: *
*
*
*
C:\Projects\ILoveIronRuby\ILoveIronRuby\testing>icucumber
features/primeservice.
feature --guess --no-color
odd number list for Hash (SyntaxError)
C:\DevTools\IronRuby\ironruby\Merlin\Main\Languages\Ruby\Libraries.LCA_RESTRICTE
D\Builtins\KernelOps.cs:1341:in require' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/cucumber-0.3.101/bin/../lib/cucumber/rb_support/r b_language.rb:101:inload_code_file’
custom_require.rb:30:in require' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/cucumber-0.3.101/bin/../lib/cucumber/rb_support/r b_language.rb:46:instep_definitions_for’
polyglot.rb:69:in require' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/cucumber-0.3.101/bin/../lib/cucumber/step_mother. rb:118:inload_code_file’
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/cucumber-0.3.101/bin/…/lib/cucumber/step_mother.
rb:110:in load_code_files' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/cucumber-0.3.101/bin/../lib/cucumber/step_mother. rb:109:inload_code_files’
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/cucumber-0.3.101/bin/…/lib/cucumber/cli/main.rb:
48:in execute!' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/cucumber-0.3.101/bin/../lib/cucumber/cli/main.rb: 23:inexecute’
C:\DevTools\IronRuby\ironruby\Merlin\Main\Languages\Ruby\Libraries.LCA_RESTRICTE
D\Extensions\IListOps.cs:810:in each' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/cucumber-0.3.101/bin/cucumber:9 c:/ruby/bin/cucumber:19 C:\DevTools\IronRuby\ironruby\Merlin\Main\Languages\Ruby\Libraries.LCA_RESTRICTE D\Builtins\KernelOps.cs:1326:inload’

C:\Projects\ILoveIronRuby\ILoveIronRuby\testing>
*

To check for an exception: you need to get it into the form lambda {
expr }.should raise_error ErrorType where expr is your test expression,
and ErrorType is the type of the error you expect. In this case, you
might need to have the second feature read “When I pass the negative
number to the prime service” so that you can parse it
differently and just store the number, then in the Then step for that
negative number, you can do lambda { @primeService.IsPrime(number.to_i)
}.should raise_error Exception

Does that help?
JD

[...]

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 1:10 PM, Jim D.
<[email protected]mailto:[email protected]> wrote:

You should probably split that into 2 scenarios. One for finding prime
or not, and one for throwing if the number is negative.

There might be an else construct, but I would argue that if you need an
else/but, then you have 2 behaviors in a single scenario.

JD

From:
[email protected]mailto:[email protected]
I am using Cucumber and now I need to use a But keyword (if there is
any)

Scenario Outline: Find if the number if prime or not

Given I have a number

When I pass the to the prime service

Then the service should display indicating whether input is
prime or not

But if the number is negative

Then the prime service should throw an exception

But it shows up as “Then” and not “But”. Is there anything related to
“But” in Cucumber.

Mohammad A.
MVP (Microsoft Valuable Professional)
www.highoncoding.comhttp://www.highoncoding.com
www.azamsharp.comhttp://www.azamsharp.com

Ironruby-core mailing list
[email protected]mailto:[email protected]

Mohammad A.
MVP (Microsoft Valuable Professional)
www.highoncoding.comhttp://www.highoncoding.com
www.azamsharp.comhttp://www.azamsharp.com

You are missing the lambda keyword. I would also just store the number
at that point, and perform the operation in the Then step.

When “I pass the negative $n_number to the prime service” do |n_number|
@n_number = n_number
end

Then /the service should throw exception/ do
lambda {@primeService.IsPrime(@n_number.to_i)}.should raise_error
end

JD

I am having trouble in where to throw the exception. The exception will
be thrown in “When” and not “Then” as shown below:

Scenario Outline: Throw exception if the number is negative
Given I have a negative number
When I pass the negative <n_number> to the prime service
Then the service should throw exception

Steps:

Given /I have a negative number/ do

end

When “I pass the negative $n_number to the prime service” do |n_number|

lambda
{@primeService.IsPrime(n_number.to_i)}.shouldmailto:[email protected](n_number.to_i)}.should
[...]

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 1:37 PM, Jim D.

From:
[...]

Thanks JD!!
It never occurred to me that I can store the number in a @n_number
variable
and use it later. Here is the version that is working perfectly:

I will be interested to know if people are actually using Cucumber in
their
companies to write acceptance tests.

@n_number = n_number.to_i

end

Then /the service should throw exception/ do

lambda {@primeService.IsPrime(@n_number)}.should raise_error

end

The following code works but there is nothing in the feature that I can
say
that the exception is thrown.

Given /I have a negative number/ do

end

When “I pass the negative $n_number to the prime service” do |n_number|

lambda {@primeService.IsPrime(n_number.to_i)}.should raise_error

end

Then /the service should throw exception/ do

end

In a week or two I will be writing detailed articles discussing Cucumber
with IronRuby. I will also record several screencasts and a podcast
session
which will all be hosted on http://www.highoncoding.com.
Thanks,
Azam

Also, I like to mention that for some reason I had to provide the
–guess
parameter for cucumber to work.
icucumber features/some_step.rb --guess

If I don’t use the guess parameter then it was picking the values from
the
previous defined examples.

No prob. I know of at least one Ruby company that is using it, I don’t
know about any IronRuby users, but I hope there are some :slight_smile:

JD

variable and use it later. Here is the version that is working
perfectly:

I will be interested to know if people are actually using Cucumber in
their companies to write acceptance tests.

Given /I have a negative number/ do

end

When “I pass the negative $n_number to the prime service” do |n_number|

@n_number = n_number.to_i

end

Then /the service should throw exception/ do

lambda
{@primeService.IsPrime(@n_number)}.shouldmailto:[email protected](@n_number)}.should
raise_error

end