From: John L. (IRONRUBY) [[email protected]]
To: [email protected]
Subject: [Ironruby-core] IronRuby r109 is out

Next steps are to start looking at running some simple Rails unit tests to see what
missing APIs fall out of that investigation.

I haven’t had a chance to investigate this in detail, but my preliminary
tests show the following results:

(after applying the latest version, plus a number of my own patches)

Of the 365 test files required by my gems and rails use case:

315 load successfully

The rest fail for the following reasons:
13 - Regexp.new overloads not implemented
11 - Socket::gethostname not implemented
8 - gsub $n bug [#20137]
7 - YAML::Syck::Resolver::use_types_at not implemented
3 - OpenSSL::Digest::OPENSSL_VERSION_NUMBER not defined
2 - Thread::critical= not implemented
1 - trap not implemented
1 - catch not implemented
1 - DATA global variable not defined
1 - IO::sync not implemented
1 - File::writable? not implemented
The gsub bug is what’s currently preventing gems setup.rb from executing
correctly.

Cheers, Wayne.

Hi Wayne,

Socket.gethostname is now implemented (as of r108). Have you
regenerated
the Initializer.Generated.cs class? My update to r108 did not touch
that
file and that may be the reason it is not picking it up.

Pete

[...]

Looks like we are going to have to think about how the backwards sync
works,
since it appears that when John pushes out a new version from TFS it
wipes
out anything that I have committed.

I’ll push my files out again today.

Pete

It seems that a number of socket methods were implemented in r108 but
deleted in r109!

(not sure what else has gone missing)

Cheers, Wayne.

[...]

Peter Bacon D.:

Looks like we are going to have to think about how the backwards sync
works, since it appears that when John pushes out a new version from
TFS it wipes out anything that I have committed.

I’ll push my files out again today.

Yikes. Sorry about that.

After thinking about it more on the commute into work today, I’ve
realized that we’re going to have to do the full RI/FI thing against the
two trees. I suspect that we’re going to have to enforce a policy that
says that check-ins against the SVN tree are allowed at all times
except for a daily synchronization window. This also means that there
will be exactly one daily sync of the trees due to the overhead
associated with doing so.

Jim - this means that there will be real work associated with this.
There’s no way to fully automate this since essentially you’re merging
two branches on a daily basis. As long as folks are working in different
parts of the tree, there shouldn’t be an enormous amount of work that
goes into the sync. That said, a redesign in something like the binder
would cause a lot of work to happen during the merge process.

Let’s think about this some more and come up with a plan. BUT, in the
interests of deferring work until after RailsConf - can you (Pete)
revert to submitting patches against sockets again? I’ll run through the
full SNAP checkin thing on our side until we figure out a way to make
things more free-flowing on the SVN side.

Thanks!
-John