IronRuby 1.1.1 Released!

The IronRuby team is pleased to announce the release of IronRuby 1.1.1
for .NET Framework 4, Silverlight 4 and Windows Phone 7, and IronRuby
Tools for Visual Studio!
All of these are of Alpha quality, the last stable version is still
IronRuby 1.0.

Download IronRuby 1.1.1 now:
http://ironruby.codeplex.com/releases/view/49097

This is the first release of IronRuby that aims to be compatible with
Ruby 1.9.2 and drops support for features specific to previous Ruby
versions. We made the decision to not support 1.8.6, 1.8.7 and 1.9.1
anymore to simplify the implementation. We recommend using IronRuby 1.0
if you need 1.8.6 compatibility.
In this release we implemented many 1.9.2 features. The language grammar
is now fully compatible with 1.9.2, so any file that is a valid Ruby
1.9.2 file should be correctly parsed. The runtime is not yet feature
complete though. The list of unsupported features includes optional
parameters to blocks, nested method parameters, some regular expression
features, and others. In spite of these missing pieces, IronRuby 1.1.1
runs simple Ruby on Rails 3 applications and passes most of the tests in
RoR 3 suite.
For the first time we are also releasing IronRuby integration to Visual
Studio 2010. It is bundled into the single IronRuby.msi you can download
from CodePlex following the link above. The installer offers you an
option to install IronRuby Tools if you have any non-Express SKU of
Visual Studio 2010 installed on the machine. The tools also work with
the free Visual Studio 2010 Integrated
Shellhttp://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=8e5aa7b6-8436-43f0-b778-00c3bca733d3&displaylang=enhttp://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=8e5aa7b6-8436-43f0-b778-00c3bca733d3&displaylang=en.
The integration includes Ruby colorizer and syntax checker, interactive
loop window, directory based project, and templates for common Ruby
applications (including Ruby on Rails 3, Sinatra, Gems and Silverlight
based browser scripting app).
This release also fixes the following bugs:
4506http://ironruby.codeplex.com/workitem/4506 irb 1.9
4600http://ironruby.codeplex.com/workitem/4600 require ‘rubygems’
fails for 64Bit Process
5190http://ironruby.codeplex.com/workitem/5190 Thread Safety Bugs in
RubyMetaBinderFactory.cs - Exception Thrown on Method’s First Invocation
4958http://ironruby.codeplex.com/workitem/4958 foo = if 3.odd? …
gets NoMethodError
4994http://ironruby.codeplex.com/workitem/4994 several socket
constants missing
4429http://ironruby.codeplex.com/workitem/4429 Release automation
4611http://ironruby.codeplex.com/workitem/4611 missing
RUBY_DESCRIPTION
4957http://ironruby.codeplex.com/workitem/4957 Can’t safely subclass
IronRuby libraries (“super” doesn’t resolve correctly)
4432http://ironruby.codeplex.com/workitem/4432 Improve irtests -p
5037http://ironruby.codeplex.com/workitem/5037 Incorrect loading of
nested type groups in RubyModule.LoadNestedTypes
IronRuby 1.1.1 is the last release from Microsoft before turning it to
the new non-Microsoft coordinators. See Jason’s blog
posthttp://blogs.msdn.com/b/jasonz/archive/2010/10/21/new-components-and-contributors-for-ironpython-and-ironruby.aspx
that announces this transition for details.
As always, if you find any bugs or have a feature request, please open
an issue on CodePlexhttp://ironruby.codeplex.com/WorkItem/Create.aspx.

Sincerely,
The IronRuby Core Team
Jim D.http://blog.jredville.com/, Tomas
Matousekhttp://blog.tomasm.net/, and Jimmy
Schementihttp://blog.jimmy.schementi.com/

Great news!

-Charles

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 6:14 PM, Tomas M. <

Anyone else having trouble installing gems? ir gem -S install … no
longer
runs at all, and when I run igem install, I get

PS C:\IronRuby1.1\bin> igem install rack sinatra --no-rdoc --no-ri
ERROR: While executing gem … (TypeError)
can’t convert NilClass into String

Am I alone in this?

Ryan R.

I’m also getting a build error on the latest sources, which appears to
be
related to my Windows 7 SDK install. What should the LIB environment
variable point to?

Thanks,

Ryan

excellent!!! Thanks!

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 2:33 AM, Charles S. <

Rack might be broken. I haven’t tested that one. Note that IronRuby
1.1.1 completely switched to 1.9.2 grammar and libraries so apps/gems
that previously worked might be broken now.

Tomas

Anyone else having trouble installing gems? ir gem -S install … no
longer runs at all, and when I run igem install, I get

PS C:\IronRuby1.1\bin> igem install rack sinatra --no-rdoc --no-ri
ERROR: While executing gem … (TypeError)
can’t convert NilClass into String

Am I alone in this?

Ryan R.

wrote:
[...]

Ironruby-core mailing list
[email protected]mailto:[email protected]

Ironruby-core mailing list
[email protected]mailto:[email protected]

Are you planning a .NET 2.0 compatible release for this version? Will be
.NET 2.0 supported in the future?

2010/10/22 Tomas M. [email protected]

Thanks, Tomas. I can’t get any to work. I’ve tried Rake, Rack, Sinatra,
and
Rails, both with and without the docs. I have reinstalled with the
installer
and used the binaries. Nothing is working. I also found that --trace
doesn’t
work with the gem command. At least I can run both ir -S gem and igem
now.
I’m on Win7. If you can help me understand how to look into the issue,
I’m
happy to try to track it down.

Regards,

Ryan

On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 10:34 PM, Tomas M. <

I am having the same issue in an xp sp3 computer, no way of installing
gems.

Ryan R. wrote in post #956590:

Anyone else having trouble installing gems? ir gem -S install … no
longer
runs at all, and when I run igem install, I get

PS C:\IronRuby1.1\bin> igem install rack sinatra --no-rdoc --no-ri
ERROR: While executing gem … (TypeError)
can’t convert NilClass into String

Am I alone in this?

Ryan R.

You can still build .NET 3.5 binaries (CLR 2.0) build from sources
(“msbuild Ruby.sln /p:Configuration=v2Release”), but not the installer.
The future support for .NET 3.5 would depend on the amount of interest
in it.

Tomas

[...]

I had the same problem than Ryan in an xp pro box, running as local
administrator, so I guess is a bug…

unknown wrote in post #956791:

Ryan,

Just a thought - have you tried running from an elevated command prompt?

Cory

Ryan,

Just a thought - have you tried running from an elevated command prompt?

Cory

If not, that should should’ve reported an error like:

C:\Users\tomat>igem install rspec --no-ri --no-rdoc
ERROR: While executing gem … (Errno::EACCES)
Access to the path ‘C:\Program Files\IronRuby
1.1\Lib\ruby\gems\1.9.1\cache\rspec-core-2.0.1.gem’ is denied.

Works as expected on a clean VM with IronRuby 1.1.1 installed:

C:\Temp>igem install rspec --no-ri --no-rdoc

Thank you for installing rspec-core-2.0.1

Please be sure to look at Upgrade.markdown to see what might have
changed
since the last release.

Successfully installed rspec-core-2.0.1
Successfully installed diff-lcs-1.1.2
Successfully installed rspec-expectations-2.0.1
Successfully installed rspec-mocks-2.0.1
Successfully installed rspec-2.0.1
5 gems installed

C:\Temp>igem install rack sinatra --no-rdoc --no-ri
Successfully installed rack-1.2.1
Successfully installed tilt-1.1
Successfully installed sinatra-1.1.0
3 gems installed

Don’t you have some other Ruby/IronRuby installation on your path (or
GEM_PATH/GEM_HOME)?

Tomas

Hi all,
I can also re-pro the issue from the --debug give more detail

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC>igem install
sinatra
–debug
ERROR: While executing gem … (TypeError)
can’t convert NilClass into String
C:/Program Files (x86)/IronRuby
1.1/Lib/ruby/1.9.1/net/protocol.rb:133:in rbuf_fill' C:/Program Files (x86)/IronRuby 1.1/Lib/ruby/1.9.1/net/protocol.rb:113:inreaduntil’
C:/Program Files (x86)/IronRuby
1.1/Lib/ruby/1.9.1/net/protocol.rb:126:in readline' C:/Program Files (x86)/IronRuby 1.1/Lib/ruby/1.9.1/net/http.rb:2213:inread_status_line’
C:/Program Files (x86)/IronRuby
1.1/Lib/ruby/1.9.1/net/http.rb:2202:in read_new' C:/Program Files (x86)/IronRuby 1.1/Lib/ruby/1.9.1/net/http.rb:1185:intransport_request’
C:/Program Files (x86)/IronRuby
1.1/Lib/ruby/1.9.1/net/http.rb:1171:in request' C:/Program Files (x86)/IronRuby 1.1/Lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/remote_fetcher.rb:342:inrequest’
C:/Program Files (x86)/IronRuby
1.1/Lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/remote_fetcher.rb:289:in open_uri_or_path' C:/Program Files (x86)/IronRuby 1.1/Lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/remote_fetcher.rb:172:infetch_path’
C:/Program Files (x86)/IronRuby
1.1/Lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/remote_fetcher.rb:110:in download' C:/Program Files (x86)/IronRuby 1.1/Lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/dependency_installer.rb:257:ininstall’
C:/Program Files (x86)/IronRuby
1.1/Lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/dependency_installer.rb:247:in each' C:/Program Files (x86)/IronRuby 1.1/Lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/dependency_installer.rb:247:ininstall’
C:/Program Files (x86)/IronRuby
1.1/Lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/commands/install_command.rb:119:in execute' C:/Program Files (x86)/IronRuby 1.1/Lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/commands/install_command.rb:116:ineach’
C:/Program Files (x86)/IronRuby
1.1/Lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/commands/install_command.rb:116:in execute' C:/Program Files (x86)/IronRuby 1.1/Lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/command.rb:270:ininvoke’
C:/Program Files (x86)/IronRuby
1.1/Lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/command_manager.rb:134:in process_args' C:/Program Files (x86)/IronRuby 1.1/Lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/command_manager.rb:104:inrun’
C:/Program Files (x86)/IronRuby
1.1/Lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/gem_runner.rb:58:in `run’
C:/Program Files (x86)/IronRuby 1.1/bin/gem:25

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC>

I’m seeing what i can do here.

Best,
-Jirapong

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 10:34 PM, Eduardo B.

Yeah, I tried that, too. Are you not having this problem? I thought I
remembered reading something about needing the built-in version of rake
somewhere, but I can’t find the reference, nor do I see rake in my list
of
gems. :frowning:

Ryan

Getting the same when installing sinatra (even from an elevated admin
prompt):

C:\Windows\system32>igem install --no-ri --no-rdoc sinatra
ERROR: While executing gem … (TypeError)
can’t convert NilClass into String

Any idea how we can add more trace info to the output to see where we’re
getting caught?
Thanks

Best Regards,
Kevin R.

I don’t have GEM_PATH/GEM_HOME defined anymore. The only other ruby in
my
path is C:\Users\ryan.gem\ironruby\1.8\bin, which isn’t a Ruby.
Actually, I
don’t remember what that’s from. I also have pik in my path, which I use
switch between different rubies on Windows. I added IR 1.1.1 through the
pik
add option. However, I’ve tried it both within pik and on its own.
Neither
works.

I do have IRONRUBY_10_20, IRONRUBY_11, and IRONRUBY_11_40 environment
variables. I removed those, too, to no effect. I don’t know why IR would
have suddenly stopped working for me. Do I need to clear out my
IronRuby1.1
folder? I’ve already deleted the folder several times trying to start
over.

Ryan R.

On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 8:29 PM, Tomas M. <

i logged an issue about it last week:
http://ironruby.codeplex.com/workitem/5326

not sure why it works on a clean vm but it seems to be failing for
quite a few people

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 2:36 PM, Kevin R.

Out of curiosity, what version of RubyGems are being bundled with
IronRuby?

Will G.
http://hotgazpacho.org/

Hi all,

I think to run spec against rubygems 1.3.7 will help identify the
issues.
result of my investigation the issue have to deal with

read_noneblock() method with the timeout setting, see below that i keep
get
same error but when i run it several times. it just get download and
install.

C:\Windows\system32>igem install builder -V --no-ri --no-rdoc
GET http://rubygems.org/latest_specs.4.8.gz
302 Found
GET http://production.s3.rubygems.org/latest_specs.4.8.gz
200 OK
Installing gem builder-2.1.2
Downloading gem builder-2.1.2.gem
GET http://rubygems.org/gems/builder-2.1.2.gem
ERROR: While executing gem … (TypeError)
can’t convert NilClass into String

C:\Windows\system32>igem install builder -V --no-ri --no-rdoc
GET http://rubygems.org/latest_specs.4.8.gz
302 Found
GET http://production.s3.rubygems.org/latest_specs.4.8.gz
304 Not Modified
Installing gem builder-2.1.2
Downloading gem builder-2.1.2.gem
GET http://rubygems.org/gems/builder-2.1.2.gem
302 Found
GET http://production.cf.rubygems.org/gems/builder-2.1.2.gem
200 OK
C:/Program Files (x86)/IronRuby
1.1/Lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/builder-2.1.2/lib/blankslate.rb
C:/Program Files (x86)/IronRuby
1.1/Lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/builder-2.1.2/lib/builder.rb
C:/Program Files (x86)/IronRuby
1.1/Lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/builder-2.1.2/lib/builder/blankslate.rb
C:/Program Files (x86)/IronRuby
1.1/Lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/builder-2.1.2/lib/builder/xchar.rb
C:/Program Files (x86)/IronRuby
1.1/Lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/builder-2.1.2/lib/builder/xmlbase.rb
C:/Program Files (x86)/IronRuby
1.1/Lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/builder-2.1.2/lib/builder/xmlevents.rb
C:/Program Files (x86)/IronRuby
1.1/Lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/builder-2.1.2/lib/builder/xmlmarkup.rb
C:/Program Files (x86)/IronRuby
1.1/Lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/builder-2.1.2/test/performance.rb
C:/Program Files (x86)/IronRuby
1.1/Lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/builder-2.1.2/test/preload.rb
C:/Program Files (x86)/IronRuby
1.1/Lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/builder-2.1.2/test/test_xchar.rb
C:/Program Files (x86)/IronRuby
1.1/Lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/builder-2.1.2/test/testblankslate.rb
C:/Program Files (x86)/IronRuby
1.1/Lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/builder-2.1.2/test/testeventbuilder.rb
C:/Program Files (x86)/IronRuby
1.1/Lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/builder-2.1.2/test/testmarkupbuilder.rb
C:/Program Files (x86)/IronRuby
1.1/Lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/builder-2.1.2/scripts/publish.rb
C:/Program Files (x86)/IronRuby
1.1/Lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/builder-2.1.2/CHANGES
C:/Program Files (x86)/IronRuby
1.1/Lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/builder-2.1.2/Rakefile
C:/Program Files (x86)/IronRuby
1.1/Lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/builder-2.1.2/README
C:/Program Files (x86)/IronRuby
1.1/Lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/builder-2.1.2/doc/releases/builder-1.2.4.rdoc
C:/Program Files (x86)/IronRuby
1.1/Lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/builder-2.1.2/doc/releases/builder-2.0.0.rdoc
C:/Program Files (x86)/IronRuby
1.1/Lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/builder-2.1.2/doc/releases/builder-2.1.1.rdoc
Successfully installed builder-2.1.2
1 gem installed

I’m also post the workaround at -
http://ironruby.codeplex.com/workitem/5326

http://ironruby.codeplex.com/workitem/5326Hope this help util I can
came
up with permanent solution.
Cheers,
-Jirapong

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 12:43 AM, Michael L. <