(Again, apologies for the slight OT nature of this post).

Thanks,
Mohit.
9/28/2009 | 1:48 PM.

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

Datum: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 14:48:55 +0900
Von: Mohit S. [email protected]
An: [email protected]
Betreff: [OT] Internationalization, Localization and Encodings

Thanks,
Mohit.
9/28/2009 | 1:48 PM.

Dear Mohit,

I found this enlightening:

http://blog.grayproductions.net/articles/understanding_m17n

Best regards,

Axel

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 6:48 AM, Mohit S. [email protected]

Mohit.
9/28/2009 | 1:48 PM.

Are you looking for a general introduction to these concepts, or a Ruby
specific one? Or both?

Joel wrote a really good introductory piece a few years ago:

Tim B. has written well on the topic also:
ongoing by Tim Bray · On the Goodness of Unicode (and not
limited
to this article)

There is also the main Unicode site:
http://www.unicode.org

It might be a good idea to float this question on
http://www.stackoverflow.com - its probably asked a lot,
and is probably well answered.

regards,
Richard.

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 1:48 AM, Mohit S. [email protected]
wrote:

Hi, I’m sorry that this is a bit Off Topic, but I was wondering if there’s a
good resource that you could point me to for understanding
internationalization, localization and encodings. With the new support in
1.9 and in other tools also, I want to learn the basics and see how they
apply to Ruby.

In addition to all the resources mentioned (which are great), my book
has a chapter on it:

Hi Richard & Axel,

First, thanks for both your replies. I will see the links more
carefully in the next couple of days.

Richard C. wrote:

Are you looking for a general introduction to these concepts, or a Ruby
specific one? Or both?

Actually, I’m looking for both. Having always programmed in English on
projects where supporting English was completely acceptable, I feel the
lack of connection to the issue altogether. I want to gain a
clear-enough understanding of this issue so that I’m then able to work
with it comfortably.

Given that, I’d like to start to play with the concepts in a language
that gets out of the way and lets me learn the problem area… hence, my
interest in learning it through Ruby since I anyway use Ruby as much as
I use C/C++.

It might be a good idea to float this question on
http://www.stackoverflow.com - its probably asked a lot,
and is probably well answered.

Thanks again for the links. I’m sure I’ll be back with more questions
:slight_smile:

Cheers,
Mohit.
9/29/2009 | 12:39 AM.