Instances in an array

I’ve got a form that has several checkboxes on it with labels and values
of A - E. I want to display the most commonly selected values.

I also need to consider the possibility that a user may select equal
numbers of each value.

What would be the best COA for displaying the results of this form?

Pale H. wrote:

I’ve got a form that has several checkboxes on it with labels and values
of A - E. I want to display the most commonly selected values.

I also need to consider the possibility that a user may select equal
numbers of each value.

What would be the best COA for displaying the results of this form?

Put the values into an array or the DB, run calculations, display the
results. Which part are you having trouble with?

Best,
–Â
Marnen Laibow-Koser
http://www.marnen.org
[email protected]

Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote:

Pale H. wrote:

I’ve got a form that has several checkboxes on it with labels and values
of A - E. I want to display the most commonly selected values.

I also need to consider the possibility that a user may select equal
numbers of each value.

What would be the best COA for displaying the results of this form?

Put the values into an array or the DB, run calculations, display the
results. Which part are you having trouble with?

I’ve got the values into an array. How, then, do I count the number of,
for example, C values? I thought there would be an array method to
determine the most commonly occurring values and return them.

Best,
–Â
Marnen Laibow-Koser
http://www.marnen.org
[email protected]

On 22 September 2010 14:49, Pale H. [email protected] wrote:

Put the values into an array or the DB, run calculations, display the
results. Which part are you having trouble with?

I’ve got the values into an array. How, then, do I count the number of,
for example, C values? I thought there would be an array method to
determine the most commonly occurring values and return them.

One way would be something like
num = array.select { |v| v== ‘C’ }.length

I expect there are better ways.

Colin

Pale H. wrote:

Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote:

Pale H. wrote:

I’ve got a form that has several checkboxes on it with labels and values
of A - E. I want to display the most commonly selected values.

I also need to consider the possibility that a user may select equal
numbers of each value.

What would be the best COA for displaying the results of this form?

Put the values into an array or the DB, run calculations, display the
results. Which part are you having trouble with?

I’ve got the values into an array. How, then, do I count the number of,
for example, C values? I thought there would be an array method to
determine the most commonly occurring values and return them.

Enumerable#count and #group_by will probably be helpful here.

Best,
–Â
Marnen Laibow-Koser
http://www.marnen.org
[email protected]

Colin L. wrote:

On 22 September 2010 14:49, Pale H. [email protected] wrote:

Put the values into an array or the DB, run calculations, display the
results. �Which part are you having trouble with?

I’ve got the values into an array. How, then, do I count the number of,
for example, C values? I thought there would be an array method to
determine the most commonly occurring values and return them.

One way would be something like
num = array.select { |v| v== ‘C’ }.length

I, too, expected there to be a better way. I did forget about the select
method but just read and tried it prior to reading your post. Thanks for
your help, regardless.

I expect there are better ways.

Colin

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs