Installing gems/updating for a specific user

So, the admin of my Mac Mini (Running Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger) has
completely forgotten the sudo password. Go figure. Is there a way to
install gems and etc. for a specific user only? Or would I need to
install ruby for the specific user? A separate install of ruby?

I don’t know much about gems, but the sudo password is the password to
an account with administrative rights, not a separate name. It takes
the password of whoever is logged in as long as they have rights to
sudo.
(apologies if he has forgotten that password too)

Sam H. wrote:

I don’t know much about gems, but the sudo password is the password to
an account with administrative rights, not a separate name. It takes
the password of whoever is logged in as long as they have rights to
sudo.
(apologies if he has forgotten that password too)

My account or ‘side’ on the computer doesn’t have admin privs, and he
forgot the admin sudo password. Would the fresh install of ruby for the
specified user only work?

Boot with a Mac OS X CD (DVD?) and change the admin password.

“Tim M.” [email protected] wrote in message
news:[email protected]

On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 11:46 AM, Tim M. [email protected] wrote:

Sam H. wrote:

I don’t know much about gems, but the sudo password is the password to
an account with administrative rights, not a separate name. It takes
the password of whoever is logged in as long as they have rights to
sudo.
(apologies if he has forgotten that password too)

My account or ‘side’ on the computer doesn’t have admin privs, and he
forgot the admin sudo password. Would the fresh install of ruby for the
specified user only work?

export GEM_HOME=“$HOME/.gems”
export GEM_PATH=“$GEM_HOME”
export PATH=“$HOME/.gems/bin:$PATH”

Modify to meet your needs, and start installing your gems :slight_smile:
I hope you know where to put the export to get it set when you open a
terminal, i’m not familiar with osx.

^ manveru