Installation problem on fedora 8

hi,

am newbie to ruby on rails in linux,am trying to setup ruby on rails
environment on fedora 8. i started by executing this command

yum -y install ruby ruby-devel ruby-irb ruby-libs ruby-rdoc ruby-ri
rubygems

this is the result that i got

Setting up Install Process
Parsing package install arguments
No package ruby available.
No package ruby-devel available.
No package ruby-irb available.
No package ruby-libs available.
No package ruby-rdoc available.
No package ruby-ri available.
No package rubygems available.
Nothing to do

i do not know why am getting this, what do i do to get rid of this so
that i can finish these installation, your help please

On Tue, 2008-09-02 at 23:14 +0200, Adolf C. wrote:

Setting up Install Process
i do not know why am getting this, what do i do to get rid of this so
that i can finish these installation, your help please


is it possible that they are already installed?

what is output of commands (as root)…

rpm -qa|grep ruby
yum repolist

Craig

Craig W. wrote:

what is output of commands (as root)…

rpm -qa|grep ruby
yum repolist

rpm -qa|grep ruby does not give anything just another prompt i.e

[[email protected] ~]# rpm -qa|grep ruby
[[email protected] ~]#

and yum repolist gives the folowing

[[email protected] ~]# yum repolist
repo id repo name status
InstallMedia Fedora 8 enabled

what next please?

thanks craig

On Tue, 2008-09-02 at 23:46 +0200, Adolf C. wrote:

what next please?


that doesn’t look right at all.

what is output of ‘rpm -qa|grep fedora-release’
(I’m looking to see if you have fedora-release and fedora-release-notes
packages installed)

My /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora.repo looks like this - and even though I am
using Fedora 9, Fedora 8 should be much the same.

[fedora]
name=Fedora $releasever - $basearch
failovermethod=priority
#baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/$releasever/Everything/$basearch/os/
mirrorlist=http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=fedora-$releasever&arch=$basearch
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora
file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY

[fedora-debuginfo]
name=Fedora $releasever - $basearch - Debug
failovermethod=priority
#baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/$releasever/Everything/$basearch/debug/
mirrorlist=http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=fedora-debug-$releasever&arch=$basearch
enabled=0
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora
file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY

[fedora-source]
name=Fedora $releasever - Source
failovermethod=priority
#baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/$releasever/Everything/source/SRPMS/
mirrorlist=http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=fedora-source-$releasever&arch=$basearch
enabled=0
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora
file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY

and likewise…/etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-updates.repo should look like
this

[updates]
name=Fedora $releasever - $basearch - Updates
failovermethod=priority
#baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/updates/$releasever/$basearch/
mirrorlist=http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=updates-released-f$releasever&arch=$basearch
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora

[updates-debuginfo]
name=Fedora $releasever - $basearch - Updates - Debug
failovermethod=priority
#baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/updates/$releasever/$basearch/debug/
mirrorlist=http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=updates-released-debug-f$releasever&arch=$basearch
enabled=0
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora

[updates-source]
name=Fedora $releasever - Updates Source
failovermethod=priority
#baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/updates/$releasever/SRPMS/
mirrorlist=http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=updates-released-source-f$releasever&arch=$basearch
enabled=0
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora

Craig

On Wed, 2008-09-03 at 00:19 +0200, Adolf C. wrote:

‘rpm -qa|grep fedora-release’ gives the following

fedora-release-notes-8.0.0-3
fedora-release-8-3

any suggestion please?


the output of yum repolist doesn’t show that fedora or fedora-updates
repos are enabled. That’s why I output the contents
of /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora.repo and /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-updates.repo
in my previous e-mail so you could compare yours to mine.

You might try as root (after comparing the files)…

yum clean all
yum update

then finally

yum install ruby ruby-libs ruby-devel ruby-irb ruby-doc rubygems

Craig

Craig W. wrote:

On Tue, 2008-09-02 at 23:46 +0200, Adolf C. wrote:

what next please?


that doesn’t look right at all.

what is output of ‘rpm -qa|grep fedora-release’
(I’m looking to see if you have fedora-release and fedora-release-notes
packages installed)

‘rpm -qa|grep fedora-release’ gives the following

fedora-release-notes-8.0.0-3
fedora-release-8-3

any suggestion please?

adolf

Craig W. wrote:

On Wed, 2008-09-03 at 00:19 +0200, Adolf C. wrote:

‘rpm -qa|grep fedora-release’ gives the following

fedora-release-notes-8.0.0-3
fedora-release-8-3

any suggestion please?


the output of yum repolist doesn’t show that fedora or fedora-updates
repos are enabled. That’s why I output the contents
of /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora.repo and /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-updates.repo
in my previous e-mail so you could compare yours to mine.

this is my /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora.repo,

[fedora]
name=Fedora 8 - i386
failovermethod=priority
#baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/8/Everything/i386/os/
mirrorlist=http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=fedora-8&arch=i386
enabled = 0
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora
file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY

[fedora-debuginfo]
name=Fedora 8 - i386 - Debug
failovermethod=priority
#baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/8/Everything/i386/debug/
mirrorlist=http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=fedora-debug-8&arch=i386
enabled=0
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora
file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY

[fedora-source]
name=Fedora 8 - Source
failovermethod=priority
#baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/8/Everything/source/SRPMS/
mirrorlist=http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=fedora-source-8&arch=i386
enabled=0
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora
file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY

and my /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-updates.repo looks like this

[updates]
name=Fedora 8 - i386 - Updates
failovermethod=priority
#baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/updates/8/i386/
mirrorlist=http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=updates-released-f8&arch=i386
enabled = 0
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora

[updates-debuginfo]
name=Fedora 8 - i386 - Updates - Debug
failovermethod=priority
#baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/updates/8/i386/debug/
mirrorlist=http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=updates-released-debug-f8&arch=i386
enabled=0
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora

[updates-source]
name=Fedora 8 - Updates Source
failovermethod=priority
#baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/updates/8/SRPMS/
mirrorlist=http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=updates-released-source-f8&arch=i386
enabled=0
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedor

do i need to change anything before i run the command that you
mentioned last time?

See below…you need to edit those files to ‘enable’ fedora and updates

Craig

On Wed, 2008-09-03 at 00:52 +0200, Adolf C. wrote:

any suggestion please?
[fedora]
name=Fedora 8 - i386
failovermethod=priority
#baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/8/Everything/i386/os/
mirrorlist=http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=fedora-8&arch=i386
enabled = 0


change to enabled = 1

gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora
enabled = 0


change to enabled = 1

Craig W. wrote:

See below…you need to edit those files to ‘enable’ fedora and updates

Craig

On Wed, 2008-09-03 at 00:52 +0200, Adolf C. wrote:

any suggestion please?
[fedora]
name=Fedora 8 - i386
failovermethod=priority
#baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/8/Everything/i386/os/
mirrorlist=http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=fedora-8&arch=i386
enabled = 0


change to enabled = 1

gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora
enabled = 0


change to enabled = 1

thanks craig for your valuable contribution.

all the best

adolf


This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs