Installation prob. with authlogic-2.1.3 on Win-XP-Pro/SP3


I am following the instructions on
GitHub - binarylogic/authlogic_example: An example rails app using the Authlogic authentication library,
specifically, the Tutorial “How to create this app …”
Step 1 of the tutorial contained three sub-step which I identify here
Step 1/a,b and c.
The details of these steps and their consequences are shown below in
Following execution of Steps 1a and 1b of the Tutorial, I followed the
advice at the top of Step 1bm i.e.
I restarted my web-server. That led to an error notification regarding
the instruction
config/environment.rb, line 10, which is: config.gem “authlogic”

An I ideas about how I can deal with this problem? Details followL

Thanks in Advance,

My environment includes:
WinXP-Pro/SP3, Ruby 1.8.2-15, Rails 1.1.6, Gem 0.9, MySQL 5.0.27-nt,
SciTE 1.72, AuthLogic gem, FireFox

Step 1a: Install the gem / plugin – I got:
gem install authlogic
Successfully installed authlogic-2.1.3
1 gem installed
Installing ri documentation for authlogic-2.1.3…
Installing RDoc documentation for authlogic-2.1.3…

I checked whether the gem was installed by executing:
dir K:_Utilities\ruby186-26_rc2\ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.8\gems
and got:
K:>dir K:_Utilities\ruby186-26_rc2\ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.8\gems
Volume in drive K is K02-100G_NT
Volume Serial Number is B00C-F65F

Directory of K:_Utilities\ruby186-26_rc2\ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.8\gems

04/28/2010 10:36 AM authlogic-2.1.3
0 File(s) 0 bytes
1 Dir(s) 56,204,374,016 bytes free


Step 1b: Add the gem dependency in your config, so now lines 1-10 in
config\environment.rb are:

Be sure to restart your server when you modify this file

Specifies gem version of Rails to use when vendor/rails is not

RAILS_GEM_VERSION = ‘2.3.5’ unless defined? RAILS_GEM_VERSION

Bootstrap the Rails environment, frameworks, and default

require File.join(File.dirname(FILE), ‘boot’)

Hook-up AuthLogic

config.gem “authlogic”

Step 1c: Following the caution in Setp1b, I ran “ruby script/server”
and got:
=> Booting Mongrel
=> Rails 2.3.5 application starting on
undefined local variable or method `config’ for main:Object

Woops, I posted a severely outdated environment list:

WinXP-Pro/SP3, Ruby 1.8.2-15, Rails 1.1.6, Gem 0.9, MySQL 5.0.27-nt,
SciTE 1.72, AuthLogic gem, FireFox

The correct environment list is (I think):

WinXP-Pro/SP3, Ruby 1.8.2-15, Rails 2.3.5, Gem 0.9, MySQL 5.0.27-nt,
SciTE 1.74, AuthLogic-2.1.3
FireFox 3.6.3, IE 8.0, OE 6.0, MS Office 2003 SP3, Nero Ultra 9
Java 1.6.0_19, JVM 1.5.0_11-b03, Apache Tomcat/5.5.12, Visual Prolog

BTW, I’ve thought there would be a user-group for authlogic, but I
haven’t found one yet.

Best wishes,

On Apr 29, 4:08 pm, RichardOnRails

I found an authlogic newsgroup:
I cross-posted this question there.

On Apr 29, 4:08 pm, RichardOnRails