Install/Enable openssl for ruby 1.8.6?

I was trying to install Redmine on rails 2.0.2 (this is not a rails
question) and I received the following error message:

no such file to load – openssl

I went to /ruby-1.8.6/ext/openssl and typed make and received the
following error message:

make: Nothing to be done for `all’.

My question is: How can I install or enable openssl for ruby 1.8.6 in
order to complete my install for rails.

Thank you!

additionally im not using an ubuntu/debian distro

Jason B. wrote:

I was trying to install Redmine on rails 2.0.2 (this is not a rails
question) and I received the following error message:

no such file to load – openssl

I went to /ruby-1.8.6/ext/openssl and typed make and received the
following error message:

make: Nothing to be done for `all’.

My question is: How can I install or enable openssl for ruby 1.8.6 in
order to complete my install for rails.

Thank you!

Jason B. wrote:

I went to /ruby-1.8.6/ext/openssl and typed make and received the
following error message:

make: Nothing to be done for `all’.

My question is: How can I install or enable openssl for ruby 1.8.6 in
order to complete my install for rails.

Thank you!

Jason,
I ran into the exact same issue recently. Make sure you have the Open
SSL development libraries and header files somewhere in a standard
location for compiling software, then try: make clean, configure, make,
and make install. You didn’t specify which OS you do have, so, YMMV :slight_smile:

HTH,
Howard

Thank you. I’m using a non-debian linux…

I installed openssl from scratch. Let me try what you’ve suggested.

Howard R. wrote:

Jason B. wrote:

I went to /ruby-1.8.6/ext/openssl and typed make and received the
following error message:

make: Nothing to be done for `all’.

My question is: How can I install or enable openssl for ruby 1.8.6 in
order to complete my install for rails.

Thank you!

Jason,
I ran into the exact same issue recently. Make sure you have the Open
SSL development libraries and header files somewhere in a standard
location for compiling software, then try: make clean, configure, make,
and make install. You didn’t specify which OS you do have, so, YMMV :slight_smile:

HTH,
Howard

Still getting the same error…

make: Nothing to be done for `all’.

How can I ensure that the headers and dev libraries are properly
installed?

Jason B. wrote:

Thank you. I’m using a non-debian linux…

I installed openssl from scratch. Let me try what you’ve suggested.

Howard R. wrote:

Jason B. wrote:

I went to /ruby-1.8.6/ext/openssl and typed make and received the
following error message:

make: Nothing to be done for `all’.

My question is: How can I install or enable openssl for ruby 1.8.6 in
order to complete my install for rails.

Thank you!

Jason,
I ran into the exact same issue recently. Make sure you have the Open
SSL development libraries and header files somewhere in a standard
location for compiling software, then try: make clean, configure, make,
and make install. You didn’t specify which OS you do have, so, YMMV :slight_smile:

HTH,
Howard

Eric H. wrote:

On Jul 2, 2008, at 21:12 PM, Jason B. wrote:

location for compiling software, then try: make clean, configure,
make,
and make install. You didn’t specify which OS you do have, so,
YMMV :slight_smile:

Still getting the same error…

make: Nothing to be done for `all’.

How can I ensure that the headers and dev libraries are properly
installed?

You’re sure you ran make clean first? If that still doesn’t do it,
you’ll have to re-run configure with the location of your openssl.

Ok. I installed the openssl from source after I installed ruby. Can
that be my issue?

On Thu, Jul 03, 2008 at 01:23:16PM +0900, Jason B. wrote:

How can I ensure that the headers and dev libraries are properly
installed?

You’re sure you ran make clean first? If that still doesn’t do it,
you’ll have to re-run configure with the location of your openssl.

Ok. I installed the openssl from source after I installed ruby. Can
that be my issue?

Yes, that would do it. When you built ruby from scratch openssl was not
on your system. At that point ruby had no way of building the openssl
extension so it would of course exclude it.

If you are building ruby from scratch, then you must make sure that all
the dependencies that ruby requires and for the extensions you want to
build are already on the system.

enjoy,

-jeremy

On Jul 2, 2008, at 21:12 PM, Jason B. wrote:

location for compiling software, then try: make clean, configure,
make,
and make install. You didn’t specify which OS you do have, so,
YMMV :slight_smile:

Still getting the same error…

make: Nothing to be done for `all’.

How can I ensure that the headers and dev libraries are properly
installed?

You’re sure you ran make clean first? If that still doesn’t do it,
you’ll have to re-run configure with the location of your openssl.

On Jul 2, 2008, at 22:20 PM, Jeremy H. wrote:

make: Nothing to be done for `all’.
Yes, that would do it. When you built ruby from scratch openssl was
not
on your system. At that point ruby had no way of building the openssl
extension so it would of course exclude it.

If you are building ruby from scratch, then you must make sure that
all
the dependencies that ruby requires and for the extensions you want to
build are already on the system.

a) unpack and install ruby
b) notice that openssl extension is missing
c) install openssl libs + headers # you are here
d) make clean in ruby
e) make and install ruby

should do it.

the first time around ruby generated a do-nothing Makefile for the
openssl bindings. make clean removes this empty makefile so that it
can be generated correctly. If you still don’t have openssl after
that, you’ll need to tell configure where you installed it.

Eric H. wrote:

On Jul 2, 2008, at 22:20 PM, Jeremy H. wrote:

make: Nothing to be done for `all’.
Yes, that would do it. When you built ruby from scratch openssl was
not
on your system. At that point ruby had no way of building the openssl
extension so it would of course exclude it.

If you are building ruby from scratch, then you must make sure that
all
the dependencies that ruby requires and for the extensions you want to
build are already on the system.

a) unpack and install ruby
b) notice that openssl extension is missing
c) install openssl libs + headers # you are here
d) make clean in ruby
e) make and install ruby

should do it.

the first time around ruby generated a do-nothing Makefile for the
openssl bindings. make clean removes this empty makefile so that it
can be generated correctly. If you still don’t have openssl after
that, you’ll need to tell configure where you installed it.

Yeah its exactly as you say. Here is the output from the mkmf.log:

have_header: checking for openssl/ssl.h… -------------------- no

"gcc -E -I. -I/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/i686-linux -I. -g -O2 conftest.c
-o con$
In file included from /usr/include/openssl/ssl.h:179,
from conftest.c:1:
/usr/include/openssl/kssl.h:72:18: krb5.h: No such file or directory
checked program was:
/* begin /
1: #include <openssl/ssl.h>
/
end */


package configuration for openssl is not found

Thank you for all your help!

Jason B. wrote:

Eric H. wrote:

On Jul 2, 2008, at 22:20 PM, Jeremy H. wrote:

make: Nothing to be done for `all’.
Yes, that would do it. When you built ruby from scratch openssl was
not
on your system. At that point ruby had no way of building the openssl
extension so it would of course exclude it.

If you are building ruby from scratch, then you must make sure that
all
the dependencies that ruby requires and for the extensions you want to
build are already on the system.

a) unpack and install ruby
b) notice that openssl extension is missing
c) install openssl libs + headers # you are here
d) make clean in ruby
e) make and install ruby

should do it.

the first time around ruby generated a do-nothing Makefile for the
openssl bindings. make clean removes this empty makefile so that it
can be generated correctly. If you still don’t have openssl after
that, you’ll need to tell configure where you installed it.

Yeah its exactly as you say. Here is the output from the mkmf.log:

have_header: checking for openssl/ssl.h… -------------------- no

"gcc -E -I. -I/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/i686-linux -I. -g -O2 conftest.c
-o con$
In file included from /usr/include/openssl/ssl.h:179,
from conftest.c:1:
/usr/include/openssl/kssl.h:72:18: krb5.h: No such file or directory
checked program was:
/* begin /
1: #include <openssl/ssl.h>
/
end */


package configuration for openssl is not found

Thank you for all your help!

Problem solved! For anyone else with the same issue… here is what i
did:

install openssl:

./config --prefix=/usr/local --openssldir=/usr/local/ssl
make
make test
make install  (as root)
./config shared --prefix=/usr/local --openssldir=/usr/local/ssl
make clean
make
make install   (as root)
cd /usr/local/ssl/lib
cp * /usr/lib

To avoid getting the following error later when you compile OpenSSH:

configure: error: Your OpenSSL headers do
not match your library

copy all the SSL include files everywhere:

cd /home/tjnelson/openssl/openssl-*
cd include/openssl
cp * /usr/include
cp * /usr/local/ssl/include
cp * /usr/local/ssl/include/openssl

and then add /usr/local/ssl/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf and type

ldconfig

Then i returned to ruby-*/ext/openssl and ran:

ruby extconf.rb
make clean
make
make install

worked like a charm!!!

thanks for all of your help

On Jul 3, 2008, at 06:32 AM, Jason B. wrote:

checked program was:
/* begin /
1: #include <openssl/ssl.h>
/
end */


package configuration for openssl is not found

It sounds like your base openssl headers are broken. You should file
a bug with your OS and include this output.

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs