Initial stages of scripting

Hi there,
I’m a relative newbie when it comes to scripting in ruby however, for a
year 11 project at school, it is necesary for me to program a maths
utilit which requests a user - elementary school aged - to add to
numbers together to reach an answer. I’ve effected some coding however,
I’m a little stumpt as to why the aplet is not correctly parsing through
the loops.
===script extract starts==
question = 1
unless question == 20
score = 0
number_of_questions = 0
num1 = rand(20)
num2 = rand(20)
correct_answer = num1 + num2
puts(“What is #{num1} + #{num2}/?”)
user_answer = gets.chomp!.to_i
unless user_answer == correct_answer
puts(“Sorry, that is not correct. Please try again.”)
user_answer = gets.chomp!.to_i
end
score += 1
number_of_questions += 1
question += 1
puts(“Well done! That is correct.\nYou have answered #{score} out of
#{number_of_questions} questions correctly.”)
end
exit
===script extract ends===
Cheers,
Hayden

On Thu, 2008-05-08 at 19:27 +0900, Hayden Smith wrote:

puts(“What is #{num1} + #{num2}/?”)
exit
===script extract ends===

What loops? I don’t see any loops in there at all. I see two
conditionals (“unless question == 20” and “unless user_answer ==
correct_answer”) but no loops.

That might be a clue.

I dont want to go through it all, so just a few hints:

puts(“What is #{num1} + #{num2}/?”)

No need for the () here.
Also the / before the ? seems confusing. Maybe omit it.

The
exit
also seems superfluous. Maybe omit it.

My favourite loop in ruby is this:

loop {

do something here… alter condition, and then finally

break if condition
}

But maybe you meant to use a while
I personally think “until” is not a good name for use here.

On 8 May 2008, at 11:27, Hayden Smith wrote:

score = 0
score += 1
number_of_questions += 1
question += 1
puts(“Well done! That is correct.\nYou have answered #{score} out of
#{number_of_questions} questions correctly.”)
end
exit

Hi Hayden,

I hope the following answers are helpful. The idiom that you’d be
looking to use in your code would be:

score = 0
1…20.each do |question|
# do stuff
end

where you keep track of the score yourself as part of do stuff.
Although I prefer the form:

1…20.inject(0) |sum, question|
# do stuff
sum += some_condition ? 1 : 0
end

but that requires that the last expression in the block be the one
that increments the sum variable. Extra marks if you can write the
block without using any local variables :wink:

Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains
http://slides.games-with-brains.net

On 8 May 2008, at 12:07, Eleanor McHugh wrote:

1…20.inject(0) |sum, question|
# do stuff
sum += some_condition ? 1 : 0
end

which of course should be:

1…20.inject(0) |sum, question|
#do stuff
sum + (some_condition ? 1 : 0)
end

as the whole point of inject is that it does the assignment for you…
I really must stick to this rule of no coding before my second cup of
tea of the day :wink:

Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains
http://slides.games-with-brains.net

My apologies for misuse of terminology: Those two conditionals are the
particular elements that I speak of.

    --
    Michael T. Richter <[email protected]> (GoogleTalk:

[email protected])
The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it’s
unfamiliar territory. (Paul Fix)

Hi Ellie,
Thanks for the suggestions, but as is evident from this code - I believe

  • I
    am a relative newbie and therefore, the logic behind this - at this
    point -
    is beyond me. Oh well, back to the bottom of the class for me.
    Cheers