In reference to perceived needs from Gnu Radio

I will admit I don’t follow the mailing list as much as I would like,
But
over the past weeks and months I have read about the road blocks some of
you
are dealing with working on your projects.

I am not a programmer by profession, I see it as a means to an end for
my
projects that mostly include embedded applications.

I have included a PDF of a rough concept sketch that may help some
people in
dealing with difficult problem solving.

The concept revolves around the way people could work together to find a
solution, and what I remember of NASA’s solution for the Apollo program.
They used 4 computers working in parallel to arrive at the same
conclusion.

Justin N2TOH

P.S. Please send any Flames directly to me…

Hi Justin,

Good thoughts and suggestions.

We have aloso elborated on the same thought “downlink data sharing from
USRP for learning”
A USRP1 was donated to us for GOES LRIT reception investigation. We
hoped that students world wide would hook on to the project but not even
one was (or has sofar been) interested.

Tools available:

  • full control of the receiver, VNC, ssh, ftp, etc connection. Antenna
    twek/realigment withing 5h.
  • big dish pointed at what ever is possible (GOES E/W)

The result of this project sofar:

  • no interest what so ever to receive real time signals from a remote
    source and help GNU Radio. When I say remote signal source we mean > 800
    km (GOES 35000 km).
    It seems like <10 m is more interesting today, I wonder why…?
  • our project was totally free for users (private money used), of cource
    you had to ask for permission to enter (void junk) by email
  • who learned something from the data received? A Czech and a Finn
    living ~9000 km away from the USRP and the antenna located at Los
    Angeles. Many thanks for that!

Conclusions:

  • universities like it when it cost alot (free help is unacceptable)
  • RX and TX must be < 10 m away. If there is a uSec delay, blame USRP
    and GR. It is not ever your fault, of cource.
  • I could go on and on…

This is the trend I have noted (and I follow every email) from GR since
we started in 2008.

Just a consideration for those who cry when they have a USRP RX/RX <
10m away, study harder!

Patrik