Important Research Project

Important Research Project (Related to computer programming)

Posted by E.D.G. on August 30, 2007 [email protected]

This report is being posted to a number of Internet Newsgroups to

see if
there are any experienced computer programmers who would like to provide
some assistance with an effort to develop a Perl language computer
program.

Interested parties can try contacting me by e-mail or by posting a

response note to the comp.lang.perl.misc newsgroup. They would need to
download a recent (free) MSI copy of Perl from the ActiveState Web site
and
get it running on a Windows XP or Vista system.

http://www.activestate.com

I am presently using Perl 5.8.8 but plan to upgrade to the latest

version as soon as possible. People can use Windows 98 if that is the
only
operating system available. Perl also runs on other operating systems.
But
at this time I specifically need help with the Windows version.

The goal is to have a single Perl program (or modules) perform

functions
that have been done by a sizeable collection of other language programs
in
the past.

Help is presently needed with learning how to get Perl to generate

charts and also produce standalone .exe copies of itself. The plan is
then make those .exe copies available to other scientific researchers
around
the world for free use along with free use updates when they become
available. If other researchers wish to get Perl running on their own
computers then they will probably also be given the source code for the
original program for free use so that they can do their own development
work.

Perl was originally chosen because it is quite versatile, is a free

download, and is supported both by ActiveState and quite a few
independent
programmers. So other researchers could get their own versions running
without having to worry about viruses or cost.

So far the work is fairly advanced.  The effort has been underway

for at
least a decade. The core data generation program was formally
copyrighted
several years ago. My present version of Perl will send data to Windows
as
if it were being manually typed into the keyboard (important for
controlling
other programs). And it can directed to respond to most keystrokes even
when another program is the active one. Unfortunately, Windows also
presently responds to those keystrokes. And that complicates things a
bit.

Not being a professional computer programmer I have been finding it

difficult to get new features such as a chart generating ability merged
with
and running with Perl. And the entire research project is now being
slowed
as a result. One of my colleagues has done an extensive amount of work
with
Basic. And I even offered to pay him to help with the Perl development
effort. But after he downloaded a copy of Perl and examined it he
decided
that this would involve too much effort. I have to agree with him.

Once it is possible to create charts and .exe versions the plan is

for
researchers around the world to develop Perl modules for generating a
variety of data related to sun, moon, planet, ocean tide crest and
trough,
and Solid Earth Tide locations. Most of those data can already be
generated
with other programs. Some of the data are not yet available anywhere as
far
as I am aware. If the effort is unusually successful the Perl program
(or
modules) might eventually be converted to CGI programs that will run at
one
or more Internet Web sites.

“E.D.G.” wrote:

This report is being posted to a number of Internet Newsgroups to
see if there are any experienced computer programmers who would
like to provide some assistance with an effort to develop a Perl
language computer program.

Where is Perl described in the C standard? This seems rather OT.

http://cbfalconer.home.att.net

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 09:45:50 -0400, CBFalconer [email protected]
wrote:

“E.D.G.” wrote:

This report is being posted to a number of Internet Newsgroups to
see if there are any experienced computer programmers who would
like to provide some assistance with an effort to develop a Perl
language computer program.

Where is Perl described in the C standard? This seems rather OT.

A little OT for basic groups, too. Followups set.

Fortran group dropped, too.

ArarghMail708 at [drop the ‘http://www.’ from ->] http://www.arargh.com
BCET Basic Compiler Page: http://www.arargh.com/basic/index.html

To reply by email, remove the extra stuff from the reply address.

Hmmm, who knows… Maybe FORTRAN will finally kick the bucket and be
replaced
by Perl?

Oh well, a spider can dream :slight_smile:

TerryP.

“CBFalconer” [email protected] wrote in message
news:[email protected]

“E.D.G.” wrote:

Where is Perl described in the C standard? This seems rather OT.

It has been my experience that a person who is an expert with one
computer
language can usually do reasonably well when working with other
languages.
I am trying to find some people who can assist with getting a Perl
program
running. It would probably be easier for expert programmers in any
language
to help with this type of work compared with people such as myself who
are
not experts in any programming language.

“E.D.G.” [email protected] writes:

to help with this type of work compared with people such as myself who are
not experts in any programming language.

CBFalconer’s point is that this newsgroup (comp.lang.c, where he and I
are both reading this) is for discussion of the C programming
language. If you want to discuss something other than C, please find
another forum. Massive cross-posts like this are rarely appropriate.

“E.D.G.” [email protected] wrote in message
news:[email protected]

Important Research Project (Related to computer programming)

Posted by E.D.G. on August 30, 2007 [email protected]

This effort was not successful.  And I am returning to trying to

slowly
make progress with the computer program I have been developing.

I was hoping that there might be some people who had Perl chart and

.exe
generation programs running on their own computer who could say, “Here
is
how to merge them with Perl; here is how to use them; this is what they
will
do, etc.” Or, I was hoping that someone would respond and say that
although
they are using Fortran or Basic etc. instead of Perl, they would be
interested in getting a copy of Perl running, determine how to get those
routines running, and then pass along the information. That would have
saved some time.

I work on these projects all the time.  And it has been my

experience
that the world of science does not have the type of organized structure
at
this time to enable people to easily obtain that type of assistance. I
have
established an organization which will hopefully help with that problem.
It
might be going public at a Web site some time in the next year.

There were some questions regarding the computer program I discussed.
This
is what it does:

It provides researchers with the a certain amount of ability to

determine if different events are somehow linked with one another. For
example, it can be used to compare two or more earthquakes, earthquakes
and
electromagnetic pulses, tornados and electromagnetic pulses, and even
earthquakes and tornados etc.

It makes it possible for people to study events taking place deep in

the
Earth by evaluating electromagnetic pulse data associated with those
events.
Under the right conditions it can be used to forecast earthquakes. That
is
the reason it was developed in the first place. You can see the type of
data it generates at the following Web page:

http://www.freewebz.com/eq-forecasting/Data.html

The plan is that when it has chart and standalone .exe program file

generation capabilities, program copies will be circulated within the
earthquake forecasting community in the People’s Republic of China. It
was
discussed in detail there at a scientific conference in December of
2003.
At that time it was too complex for widespread use.

After the chart feature becomes operational etc. I am also planning

contact U.S. government officials to see if one or more lectures can be
organized regarding the basic technology and theories, and the program’s
capabilities.

These are personal opinions.

On Sep 1, 7:13 am, “E.D.G.” [email protected] wrote:

“E.D.G.” [email protected] wrote in message

news:[email protected]

Important Research Project (Related to computer programming)

Posted by E.D.G. on August 30, 2007 [email protected]

This effort was not successful.

Shocking, isn’t it ?

And I am returning to trying to slowly
make progress with the computer program I have been developing.

You might have more luck if you read
http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#forum
before asking for help again.

In article [email protected],
Keith Thompson [email protected] wrote:

running. It would probably be easier for expert programmers in any language
to help with this type of work compared with people such as myself who are
not experts in any programming language.

CBFalconer’s point is that this newsgroup (comp.lang.c, where he and I
are both reading this) is for discussion of the C programming
language. If you want to discuss something other than C, please find
another forum. Massive cross-posts like this are rarely appropriate.

IOW (for the OP and for the various readers in all these groups):

The rod up Keith’s butt has a rod up its butt.

Note, incidentally, that this thread is yet the latest occurrence of a
phenomenon that I’ve observed many times in the past, and have
described here in clc on more than a few occasions. That is, somebody
starts a thread, posted to several different groups, in the hope of
getting help from at least one of them. The thread is pretty much
on-topic for most of the groups, primarily because the keepers of most
of the groups do not have rods up their butts.

However, and this is the big however, one of the groups listed just
happens to be clc, where rod-filled butts are the norm. The result is
that all of the responses come from clc (including, of course, this one)
and, as we see, it’s all topicality BS, and nobody ever ends up
discussing the original subject. Really a pity, that.

“M. Edward (Ed) Borasky” [email protected] wrote in message
news:[email protected]

The main program is fully operational. And I am not having trouble with
writing Perl code. The problem at the moment is with getting new
features
such as a chart generation capability merged with Perl and then getting
them
running. For Perl experts or professional computer programmers that is
probably easy. For the rest of us it is a slow trial and error process.

Once the program I have developed becomes generally available,
scientists
around the world will probably rewrite the code in some other language.
Right now I just need to get it into a form that can be sent to people
so
that they can start using it. The technology is in my opinion quite
revolutionary in a number of ways.

I talk with leading earthquake researchers around the world all the
time.

“E.D.G.” [email protected] wrote in message
news:[email protected]

I have the Gnuplot graphics program running now with Windows XP. And it
looks like it will work for my application.
http://www.gnuplot.info

CBFalconer wrote:

“E.D.G.” wrote:

This report is being posted to a number of Internet Newsgroups to
see if there are any experienced computer programmers who would
like to provide some assistance with an effort to develop a Perl
language computer program.

Where is Perl described in the C standard? This seems rather OT.

This is OT in every single group it was posted in… Ed wants some
gullible programmer to write him up a program for analyzing this mass of
“data” he’s been collecting, and use it to predict earthquakes. He’s
been changing the requested language (Basic, Visual Basic, C, Fortran,
Perl, and god only knows what else) and putting up the same request
since at least the mid-1990s…

Jim