Igem not working

When I execute igem install rake I get the following error:

C:\DevTools\IronRuby\ironruby\Merlin\Main\Languages\Ruby\Scripts\bin>irake.bat
‘“C:\DevTools\IronRuby\ironruby\Merlin\Main\Languages\Ruby\Scripts\bin\ir.exe”’
is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Any ideas?

IronRuby configuration is extremely weird!!!

And here is my environment variables:

c:\ruby\bin;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0;C:\Program
Files\TortoiseSVN\bin;C:\DevTools\IronRuby\ironruby\Merlin\Main\bin\Debug;C:\DevTools\IronRuby\ironruby\Merlin\Main\Languages\lib\ironruby\gems\1.8\bin;C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5;C:\Program
Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL
Server\90\Tools\binn;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL
Server\90\DTS\Binn;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL
Server\90\Tools\Binn\VSShell\Common7\IDE;C:\Program Files\Microsoft
Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies;c:\Program
Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn;c:\Program Files\Microsoft
SQL Server\100\DTS\Binn;C:\Program Files\IVI Foundation\VISA\WinNT\Bin

My advice to you is: do not build from source or use the Dev env for
ironruby. Because ironruby config is really easy.

You have 2 paths for ironruby. Is your config correct? If we ever meet
I’ll walk you through all the files and how it works. Maybe the MVP
summit?

On Thursday, January 14, 2010, Mohammad A. [email protected]
wrote:

SQL Server\100\DTS\Binn;C:\Program Files\IVI Foundation\VISA\WinNT\Bin

Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.


Ironruby-core mailing list
[email protected]
http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/ironruby-core

Met vriendelijke groeten - Best regards - Salutations
Ivan Porto C.
GSM: +32.486.787.582
Blog: http://flanders.co.nz
Twitter: http://twitter.com/casualjim
Author of IronRuby in Action (http://manning.com/carrero)

Hi,

Thanks! I got it working using Dev.bat.

It will my pleasure to meet you at the MVP Summit :slight_smile: Maybe we can record
a Podcast about IronRuby.

Thanks,
Azam

I plan on being here/there for at least part of it.

JD

From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Ivan Porto
Carrero
Sent: Thursday, January 14, 2010 1:14 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [Ironruby-core] igem not working

That’s fine but my point is that if you just want to just use ironruby
do NOT get the sources… they haven’t been updated in a while and the
1.0 RC1 version is probably very close to what you get with building
from source but without the added hassle and changed gems location.
There is no obvious win anymore when you build from source.

From the types of questions you ask I think that you never had a MS-DOS
based pc or haven’t done much batch scripting in your life, which is
perfectly fine of course. Using the dev.bat file will change a bunch of
environment variables which you don’t need at all.
Like Jim said earlier I think it’s better if you just stick to released
versions of IronRuby so you don’t have these kinds of surprises, just
make sure you install it in a path without spaces or that requires
elevated privileges (like say program files).

Sure a podcast sounds like a plan :).
Will there be anybody from the IronRuby team attending the mvp summit
too?

Met vriendelijke groeten - Best regards - Salutations
Ivan Porto C.
Blog: http://flanders.co.nz
Twitter: http://twitter.com/casualjim
Author of IronRuby in Action (http://manning.com/carrero)

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 9:27 PM, Mohammad A.
<[email protected]mailto:[email protected]> wrote:
Hi,

Thanks! I got it working using Dev.bat.

It will my pleasure to meet you at the MVP Summit :slight_smile: Maybe we can record
a Podcast about IronRuby.

Thanks,
Azam

Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.


Ironruby-core mailing list
[email protected]mailto:[email protected]
http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/ironruby-core

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 3:13 PM, Ivan Porto C.
[email protected]wrote:

That’s fine but my point is that if you just want to just use ironruby do
NOT get the sources… they haven’t been updated in a while and the 1.0 RC1
version is probably very close to what you get with building from source but
without the added hassle and changed gems location. There is no obvious win
anymore when you build from source.

That’s a shame. Will this change at some point? I suppose it really
doesn’t
matter when all you want to do is use IronRuby. Are there any build
options
to set the gems location?

Ryan

That’s fine but my point is that if you just want to just use ironruby
do
NOT get the sources… they haven’t been updated in a while and the 1.0
RC1
version is probably very close to what you get with building from source
but
without the added hassle and changed gems location. There is no obvious
win
anymore when you build from source.

From the types of questions you ask I think that you never had a MS-DOS
based pc or haven’t done much batch scripting in your life, which is
perfectly fine of course. Using the dev.bat file will change a bunch of
environment variables which you don’t need at all.
Like Jim said earlier I think it’s better if you just stick to released
versions of IronRuby so you don’t have these kinds of surprises, just
make
sure you install it in a path without spaces or that requires elevated
privileges (like say program files).

Sure a podcast sounds like a plan :).

Will there be anybody from the IronRuby team attending the mvp summit
too?

Met vriendelijke groeten - Best regards - Salutations
Ivan Porto C.
Blog: http://flanders.co.nz
Twitter: http://twitter.com/casualjim
Author of IronRuby in Action (http://manning.com/carrero)

That’s fantastic news! Btw, if you compile with the ‘-S’ option, can you
move the binaries and work directly with regular gems? I don’t have my
laptop with me, so I can’t try that myself, atm.

Ryan R.

Email: [email protected]
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/ryanriley
Blog: http://wizardsofsmart.net/
Twitter: @panesofglass
Website: http://panesofglass.org/

sure you can change the GEM_PATH

What I tend to do is just build from source and copy the binaries over
the
ironruby install. Then I have to edit the .config files so it will work
with
unsigned assemblies.

There was a push yesterday and now there is a huge win. An RSpec batch
now
takes less than half the time it did before. At this point ironruby is
very
usable and I would take an app in production with it.

Met vriendelijke groeten - Best regards - Salutations
Ivan Porto C.
Blog: http://flanders.co.nz
Twitter: http://twitter.com/casualjim
Author of IronRuby in Action (http://manning.com/carrero)

-S is only in my fork at the moment.

~Jimmy
Sent from my phone

On Jan 15, 2010, at 8:26 AM, “Ryan R.”
<[email protected]mailto:[email protected]> wrote:

That’s fantastic news! Btw, if you compile with the ‘-S’ option, can you
move the binaries and work directly with regular gems? I don’t have my
laptop with me, so I can’t try that myself, atm.

Ryan R.

Email: mailto:[email protected]
[email protected]mailto:[email protected]
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/ryanriley
http://www.linkedin.com/in/ryanriley
Blog: http://wizardsofsmart.net/ http://wizardsofsmart.net/
Twitter: @panesofglass
Website: http://panesofglass.org/ http://panesofglass.org/

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 10:01 AM, Ivan Porto C.
<mailto:[email protected][email protected]mailto:[email protected]>
wrote:
sure you can change the GEM_PATH

What I tend to do is just build from source and copy the binaries over
the ironruby install. Then I have to edit the .config files so it will
work with unsigned assemblies.

There was a push yesterday and now there is a huge win. An RSpec batch
now takes less than half the time it did before. At this point ironruby
is very usable and I would take an app in production with it.


Met vriendelijke groeten - Best regards - Salutations
Ivan Porto C.
Blog: http://flanders.co.nz http://flanders.co.nz
Twitter: http://twitter.com/casualjim http://twitter.com/casualjim
Author of IronRuby in Action
(http://manning.com/carrerohttp://manning.com/carrero)


Ironruby-core mailing list
[email protected]mailto:[email protected]
http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/ironruby-core

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs