I just can't get rubygems to work. Can anyone help?


#1

My problems started with a wxruby gem, but the whole gem system on my
mac is now one big cluster#$#$!. rubygems .9x was giving me problems–I
have a pre-installed ruby 1.8.2 on my mac–so I tried to upgrade to
rubygems 1.3.1 with the “rubygems 1.3.1 update”, which is supposed to be
an easy thing to do, but that didn’t work for me either.

Next, I decided to upgrade to ruby 1.8.6, and download the full rubygems
1.3.1 and install it locally hoping that all my problems would be
solved. No such luck. I originally posted about the problems I am
having in the wxruby forum here:

http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/182480#new

because I was trying to get a wxruby gem to work. But my problem is
really a general gem problem, so I think it is more appropriate to get
help here, and hopefully more people will see my post.

I am fully willing to wipe every trace of every version of rubygems off
my computer and start anew if that would be easier and I could get
instructions on how to do that.

For the full story, I please read the post at the link above.

Thanks for any help.


#2

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 10:32 PM, 7stud – removed_email_address@domain.invalid
wrote:

My problems started with a wxruby gem, but the whole gem system on my
mac is now one big cluster#$#$!.
[…]
Next, I decided to upgrade to ruby 1.8.6, and download the full rubygems
1.3.1 and install it locally hoping that all my problems would be
solved. No such luck. I originally posted about the problems I am
having in the wxruby forum here:

http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/182480#new

Hi, you may find this thread helpful:
http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/180436

In your original thread, Mario suggested cleanuping up anything
accidentally installed in /Users/autie/.gem
Did that not help?

solidarity,
lasitha.


#3

lasitha wrote:

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 10:32 PM, 7stud – removed_email_address@domain.invalid
wrote:

My problems started with a wxruby gem, but the whole gem system on my
mac is now one big cluster#$#$!.
[…]
Next, I decided to upgrade to ruby 1.8.6, and download the full rubygems
1.3.1 and install it locally hoping that all my problems would be
solved. �No such luck. �I originally posted about the problems I am
having in the wxruby forum here:

http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/182480#new

Hi, you may find this thread helpful:
http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/180436

In your original thread, Mario suggested cleanuping up anything
accidentally installed in /Users/me/.gem
Did that not help?

Well, Mario said that would “probably” work, so I thought I would see if
anyone could confirm that or not. The thread you linked to says to use
rm -rf, but I’m not sure what path/file I should list, and I checked the
man pages on rm, and that sounds a bit dangerous. If I do:

$ rm -rf /Users/me/.gem

will that delete /Users/me and /Users ? Or will it only delete a
directory if it is empty?


#4

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 2:48 PM, 7stud – removed_email_address@domain.invalid
wrote:

Well, Mario said that would “probably” work, so I thought I would see if
anyone could confirm that or not. The thread you linked to says to use
rm -rf, but I’m not sure what path/file I should list, and I checked the
man pages on rm, and that sounds a bit dangerous. If I do:

$ rm -rf /Users/me/.gem

will that delete /Users/me and /Users ? Or will it only delete a
directory if it is empty?

On my system, no. Do a test…

mkdir temp
cd temp
mkdir .gem
cd .gem
touch a b
cd …/…
rm -rf temp/.gem

ls temp #nothing, but temp is still there.

hth,
Todd


#5

Todd B. wrote:

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 2:48 PM, 7stud – removed_email_address@domain.invalid
wrote:

Well, Mario said that would “probably” work, so I thought I would see if
anyone could confirm that or not. The thread you linked to says to use
rm -rf, but I’m not sure what path/file I should list, and I checked the
man pages on rm, and that sounds a bit dangerous. If I do:

$ rm -rf /Users/me/.gem

will that delete /Users/me and /Users ? Or will it only delete a
directory if it is empty?

On my system, no. Do a test…

mkdir temp
cd temp
mkdir .gem
cd .gem
touch a b
cd …/…
rm -rf temp/.gem

ls temp #nothing, but temp is still there.

Ok. I did

$ rm -r ~/.gem

so that rm would ask me to confirm the files it was going to delete.
After awhile, I did a ctrl+C to stop the command. Then I did

$ rm -rf ~/.gem

which deleted the .gem directory and all the files and directories
beneath the .gem directory. Then I did:

$ gem env
RubyGems Environment:

  • RUBYGEMS VERSION: 1.3.1
  • RUBY VERSION: 1.8.6 (2007-03-13 patchlevel 0) [i686-darwin8.11.1]
  • INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
  • RUBY EXECUTABLE: /usr/local/bin/ruby
  • EXECUTABLE DIRECTORY: /usr/local/bin
  • RUBYGEMS PLATFORMS:
    • ruby
    • x86-darwin-8
  • GEM PATHS:
    • /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
    • /Users/me/.gem/ruby/1.8
  • GEM CONFIGURATION:
    • :update_sources => true
    • :verbose => true
    • :benchmark => false
    • :backtrace => false
    • :bulk_threshold => 1000
  • REMOTE SOURCES:

Unfortunately, ~/.gem is still listed as a gem path–I suspected it
would be.

Then I dragged the gem wxruby-2.0.0-universal-darwin-9.gem onto my
Desktop then I did:

$ cd ~/Desktop

$ sudo gem install wxruby-2.0.0-universal-darwin-9.gem

No error messages.

$ gem list --local
*** LOCAL GEMS ***

fastercsv (1.2.3)
hoe (1.5.0)
hpricot (0.6)
libxml-ruby (0.5.2.0)
mechanize (0.7.0)
rake (0.8.1)
rubyforge (0.4.4)
rubygems-update (1.0.1)
wxruby (2.0.0)

There’s the wxruby gem. Then I tried running a simple wxruby program
with the following lines at the top:

require “rubygems”
require “wx”

and it worked. Miracle.

$ which ruby
/usr/local/bin/ruby

$ ruby -v
ruby 1.8.6 (2007-03-13 patchlevel 0) [i686-darwin8.11.1]

So I guess I’m setup–finally. I hope having two gem paths doesn’t come
back and bite me. Thanks everyone.