I just can't get rubygems to work. Can anyone help?

My problems started with a wxruby gem, but the whole gem system on my
mac is now one big cluster#$#$!. rubygems .9x was giving me problems–I
have a pre-installed ruby 1.8.2 on my mac–so I tried to upgrade to
rubygems 1.3.1 with the “rubygems 1.3.1 update”, which is supposed to be
an easy thing to do, but that didn’t work for me either.

Next, I decided to upgrade to ruby 1.8.6, and download the full rubygems
1.3.1 and install it locally hoping that all my problems would be
solved. No such luck. I originally posted about the problems I am
having in the wxruby forum here:

http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/182480#new

because I was trying to get a wxruby gem to work. But my problem is
really a general gem problem, so I think it is more appropriate to get
help here, and hopefully more people will see my post.

I am fully willing to wipe every trace of every version of rubygems off
my computer and start anew if that would be easier and I could get
instructions on how to do that.

For the full story, I please read the post at the link above.

Thanks for any help.

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 10:32 PM, 7stud – [email protected]
wrote:

My problems started with a wxruby gem, but the whole gem system on my
mac is now one big cluster#$#$!.
[…]
Next, I decided to upgrade to ruby 1.8.6, and download the full rubygems
1.3.1 and install it locally hoping that all my problems would be
solved. No such luck. I originally posted about the problems I am
having in the wxruby forum here:

http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/182480#new

Hi, you may find this thread helpful:
http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/180436

In your original thread, Mario suggested cleanuping up anything
accidentally installed in /Users/autie/.gem
Did that not help?

solidarity,
lasitha.

lasitha wrote:

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 10:32 PM, 7stud – [email protected]
wrote:

My problems started with a wxruby gem, but the whole gem system on my
mac is now one big cluster#$#$!.
[…]
Next, I decided to upgrade to ruby 1.8.6, and download the full rubygems
1.3.1 and install it locally hoping that all my problems would be
solved. �No such luck. �I originally posted about the problems I am
having in the wxruby forum here:

http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/182480#new

Hi, you may find this thread helpful:
http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/180436

In your original thread, Mario suggested cleanuping up anything
accidentally installed in /Users/me/.gem
Did that not help?

Well, Mario said that would “probably” work, so I thought I would see if
anyone could confirm that or not. The thread you linked to says to use
rm -rf, but I’m not sure what path/file I should list, and I checked the
man pages on rm, and that sounds a bit dangerous. If I do:

$ rm -rf /Users/me/.gem

will that delete /Users/me and /Users ? Or will it only delete a
directory if it is empty?

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 2:48 PM, 7stud – [email protected]
wrote:

Well, Mario said that would “probably” work, so I thought I would see if
anyone could confirm that or not. The thread you linked to says to use
rm -rf, but I’m not sure what path/file I should list, and I checked the
man pages on rm, and that sounds a bit dangerous. If I do:

$ rm -rf /Users/me/.gem

will that delete /Users/me and /Users ? Or will it only delete a
directory if it is empty?

On my system, no. Do a test…

mkdir temp
cd temp
mkdir .gem
cd .gem
touch a b
cd …/…
rm -rf temp/.gem

ls temp #nothing, but temp is still there.

hth,
Todd

Todd B. wrote:

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 2:48 PM, 7stud – [email protected]
wrote:

Well, Mario said that would “probably” work, so I thought I would see if
anyone could confirm that or not. The thread you linked to says to use
rm -rf, but I’m not sure what path/file I should list, and I checked the
man pages on rm, and that sounds a bit dangerous. If I do:

$ rm -rf /Users/me/.gem

will that delete /Users/me and /Users ? Or will it only delete a
directory if it is empty?

On my system, no. Do a test…

mkdir temp
cd temp
mkdir .gem
cd .gem
touch a b
cd …/…
rm -rf temp/.gem

ls temp #nothing, but temp is still there.

Ok. I did

$ rm -r ~/.gem

so that rm would ask me to confirm the files it was going to delete.
After awhile, I did a ctrl+C to stop the command. Then I did

$ rm -rf ~/.gem

which deleted the .gem directory and all the files and directories
beneath the .gem directory. Then I did:

$ gem env
RubyGems Environment:

  • RUBYGEMS VERSION: 1.3.1
  • RUBY VERSION: 1.8.6 (2007-03-13 patchlevel 0) [i686-darwin8.11.1]
  • INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
  • RUBY EXECUTABLE: /usr/local/bin/ruby
  • EXECUTABLE DIRECTORY: /usr/local/bin
  • RUBYGEMS PLATFORMS:
    • ruby
    • x86-darwin-8
  • GEM PATHS:
    • /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
    • /Users/me/.gem/ruby/1.8
  • GEM CONFIGURATION:
    • :update_sources => true
    • :verbose => true
    • :benchmark => false
    • :backtrace => false
    • :bulk_threshold => 1000
  • REMOTE SOURCES:

Unfortunately, ~/.gem is still listed as a gem path–I suspected it
would be.

Then I dragged the gem wxruby-2.0.0-universal-darwin-9.gem onto my
Desktop then I did:

$ cd ~/Desktop

$ sudo gem install wxruby-2.0.0-universal-darwin-9.gem

No error messages.

$ gem list --local
*** LOCAL GEMS ***

fastercsv (1.2.3)
hoe (1.5.0)
hpricot (0.6)
libxml-ruby (0.5.2.0)
mechanize (0.7.0)
rake (0.8.1)
rubyforge (0.4.4)
rubygems-update (1.0.1)
wxruby (2.0.0)

There’s the wxruby gem. Then I tried running a simple wxruby program
with the following lines at the top:

require “rubygems”
require “wx”

and it worked. Miracle.

$ which ruby
/usr/local/bin/ruby

$ ruby -v
ruby 1.8.6 (2007-03-13 patchlevel 0) [i686-darwin8.11.1]

So I guess I’m setup–finally. I hope having two gem paths doesn’t come
back and bite me. Thanks everyone.

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs