The title says it all - please bear with me. To let you know where I
stand, I have been working for up to 12 hours a day for 2 months and 2
weeks trying to get my site ready for release. In development (on
windows) it works perfectly. In production (on linux ubuntu) it does
I stopped using capistrano because there are problems with the repo on
github and things aren’t working well with that. I figured the easiest
way for the first time would be to create a separate folder for
production testing and point my virtual host to that.
I have the following issues from start to finish:
(Setup: Using ubuntu hardy, apache, passenger, rails 2.3.3, ruby 1.8.6)
Issue One: Last night when I did the manual install and went to my
server, passenger told me that one of my plugin methods wasn’t
available. I was subsequently told by a friend that you have to include
“all” gems in environment.rb. So, I put require next to the gems I use
Issue Two: After restarting the server, I was getting an issue about one
of the constants I have in my environment. I disabled the constant in
the two files it exists (because it wouldn’t affect things outright).
When running touch restart.txt and going to my site I’m getting an
Internal Server Error 500 message.
I check the logs and there’s nothing written to them. Just one line
only on production. Server log has 0.
Logfile created on Tue Aug 11 13:26:37 +0000 2009
So, I’m unable to view errors or figure out what is going wrong with my
Issue Three: Another person told me that I don’t need to require the
gems in environment rb and that I should just use the config and do a
rake gems:install so I add them there:
Run sudo rake gems:install
WARNING: Installing to ~/.gem since /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8 and
/usr/bin aren’t both writable.
WARNING: You don’t have /home/jdezenzio/.gem/ruby/1.8/bin in your PATH,
gem executables will not run.
- RUBYGEMS VERSION: 1.3.5
- RUBY VERSION: 1.8.6 (2007-09-24 patchlevel 111) [x86_64-linux]
- INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
- RUBY EXECUTABLE: /usr/bin/ruby1.8
- EXECUTABLE DIRECTORY: /usr/bin
- RUBYGEMS PLATFORMS:
- GEM PATHS:
- GEM CONFIGURATION:
- REMOTE SOURCES:
At this point, I took a step back.
First, this linux is on slicehost and I created and duplicated
everything I had from windows on it in terms of what gems it needs.
It has every single gem installed that I have on my development machine.
The only difference is on windows I don’t need to do a require “x-gem
etc.” to get my gems to work.
Secondly, if I go to IRB and do require “rubygems” and then require
“everything else…”, I get => ‘true’
So, where do I stand? What are the biggest issues?
- I can’t see errors in my logs to troubleshoot my issues
- I’m not sure where I need to require my gems, how to require them
properly for production, or how to simplify this process to that I can
access them anywhere.
- The rake gems:install is a bad solution for me because I already
have the gems installed on my system - my app just needs to be able to
see them. Because my app can’t see them and I’m forced to use a require
“rubygems” do I have to include every possible gem my app uses, even
- What other things can I do to troubleshoot my issues here.
… Very tired … and pretty frustrated and sad right now. I’m losing
too much time and getting to the point that I can’t think straight.
I’ve been told to go here and there, and talk to this person and that
person, visit this IRC channel and that IRC channel. At the end of it
all, I’m not getting the right answers or not getting any answers at
I’m a great troubleshooter. I don’t know how to properly troubleshoot
this issue correctly.