How to use Ruby portable?

I downloaded Ruby binaries, ruby-1.8.7-p72-i386-mswin32.zip I’
wondering
if it’s possible configure all package of Ruby environment as a
“Portable
App” , the
idea is to have a fully-functional Ruby environment that executes
entirely
from hard drive (or USB stick) eaving no footprint whatsoever on the
machine it’s run on – no registry entries, no configuration files, etc.
If
I just unzip all Ruby package into 2nd hard drive, how to run Ruby
files?
Should I put programs inside some of Ruby directory?

Will Ruby write to registry on interact with Windows programs?

balzer wrote:

I downloaded Ruby binaries, ruby-1.8.7-p72-i386-mswin32.zip I’
wondering
if it’s possible configure all package of Ruby environment as a
“Portable
App” , the
idea is to have a fully-functional Ruby environment that executes
entirely
from hard drive (or USB stick) eaving no footprint whatsoever on the
machine it’s run on – no registry entries, no configuration files, etc.
If
I just unzip all Ruby package into 2nd hard drive, how to run Ruby
files?
Should I put programs inside some of Ruby directory?

Will Ruby write to registry on interact with Windows programs?

No, Ruby doesn’t write any registry entries. That’s beacuse Ruby IS
already quite portable - it runs on nearly every OS and a Registry is
quite Windows-specific.

So, just unzip your Ruby wherever you want it. In order to start ruby,
just do:

C:> I:
I:> ruby\bin\ruby -v

or whatever drive letter your USB device gets and however the ruby
directory is named.

Marvin

“Marvin Gülker” [email protected] wrote in message
news:[email protected]

If
So, just unzip your Ruby wherever you want it. In order to start ruby,
just do:

C:> I:
I:> ruby\bin\ruby -v

or whatever drive letter your USB device gets and however the ruby
directory is named.

Marvin

And where should be placed programs: inside Ruby directory?

thank you.

balzer wrote:

“Marvin Gülker” [email protected] wrote in message
news:[email protected]

If
So, just unzip your Ruby wherever you want it. In order to start ruby,
just do:

C:> I:
I:> ruby\bin\ruby -v

or whatever drive letter your USB device gets and however the ruby
directory is named.

Marvin

And where should be placed programs: inside Ruby directory?

thank you.

It doesn’t matter at all.

Go to whatever directory and type: i:\ruby\bin\ruby myrubyprog.rb

by
TheR

“Damjan R.” [email protected] wrote in message
news:[email protected]

or whatever drive letter your USB device gets and however the ruby
It doesn’t matter at all.

Go to whatever directory and type: i:\ruby\bin\ruby myrubyprog.rb

by
TheR

Type command where: in windows cmd prompt , MS DOS windows or other
place?

“balzer” [email protected] wrote in message
news:[email protected]

C:> I:

Type command where: in windows cmd prompt , MS DOS windows or other place?

how to use it? for example Ruby in on F:

F:\Ruby

program is in
F:\Ruby\origami-1.0.0b
scripts are in
F:\Ruby\origami-1.0.0b\sources\scripts\parse which have ‘parse.rb’
script i
want run

You could use a batch script to launch Ruby with the parameters you’d
use to launch your script.

Example:

Your script resides in F:\foo-program\lib\foo.rb
Ruby resides in F:\foo-program\ruby.exe

Make a batch file that executes the following command and place it in
F:\foo-program:

ruby.exe lib\foo.rb