How to use iterator for access to multiple elements?

Hi,

I want to write a function that calculate the time difference between
two following elements in an array. But then I need access to both
elements in this array.

When I use an iterator I only get the actual element of the array:

array.each {|element|

previous = element.previous()

element.delay = element.time - previous.time
}

Can someone tell me, how I could implement this function in a clever
way?
(A for-loop would also work, but that is not as smart as it is used to
be in Ruby.)

Thanks,
Sven

On 9/25/06, Sven [email protected] wrote:

Hi,

I want to write a function that calculate the time difference between
two following elements in an array. But then I need access to both
elements in this array.

Have a look at Enumerator#each_slice and Enumerator#each_cons

Sam

Sam G. wrote:

Have a look at Enumerator#each_slice and Enumerator#each_cons

Thanks, each_cons should be the right one for me.

But where could I find this information on my own? Only with using your
information for a web search I was able to find a little information
about it.
Also rubyforge does not help.
There has to be an easy entry point for such information that I did not
find yet. Is there any hint where I could start searching?

Thanks,
Sven

On 9/25/06, Sven [email protected] wrote:

find yet. Is there any hint where I could start searching?
Certainly. I use www.ruby-doc.org - specifically the “core api” and
“standard api” sections.

Sam

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs